World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Regents Field

Article Id: WHEBN0014349559
Reproduction Date:

Title: Regents Field  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ferry Field, Gustave Ferbert, Michigan Wolverines football, 1905 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team, 1898 Michigan Wolverines football team
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Regents Field

Regents Field was the home field for the University of Michigan football team from 1893 to 1905. It was located along South State Street in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where Schembechler Hall stands today.

Regents Field, 1904

215px
210px
Photograph taken from a specially erected platform prior to kick-off in the 1904 Michigan-Chicago game at Regents Field

The Board of Regents of the University of Michigan authorized $3,000 in 1890 for the purchase of land to build a new football field. The following May, they added $4,500 more "for the purpose of fitting up the athletic field." Regents Field opened for the 1893 football season. The first home game at Regents Field was a 6–0 victory over the Detroit Athletic Club on October 7, 1893.

When it opened, Regents Field had a single wooden bleacher section that seated 400 people. The bleachers burned down in 1895 and were replaced the following year with a new covered grandstand seating 800. Because of the demand for tickets, additional open bleachers seating about 6,000 were built adjoining the covered grandstand. The Athletic Association also had "one thousand circus seats and materials for sloping platforms which will permit 8,000 more people to view a football game." Bleachers were later constructed along the south side of the field and the end zones, bringing capacity to over 15,000. The largest crowd ever at Regents Field was for the second to last game at the old stadium. By one account, 17,000 fans watched the Wolverines defeat Wisconsin in the 1905 homecoming game.

In the 1890s a three dollar membership in the Athletic Association gained students admission to all athletic events. By 1904 a general admission ticket cost $3.00.

In 1902, Detroit businessman Dexter Ferry donated the land immediately north of Regents Field to the university and the entire complex was renamed Ferry Field.

Michigan compiled an overall record of 87–2–3 at Regents Field from 1893 to 1905. Between 1901 and 1904, Fielding H. Yost's "Point-a-Minute" teams went 44–0 at Regents Field, outscoring their opponents 2,821 to 42.

In 1904, the Wolverines beat the undefeated University of Chicago team (coached by Amos Alonzo Stagg) at Regents Field. Portions of the game and several panoramic shots of the field were filmed by the Edison Company in one of the earliest successful attempts to film a football game. (See External links to view the film.)

External links

  • Bentley Library Article on Regents Field
  • History of Michigan Stadium
  • Edison Film of 1904 Football Game at Regents Field, Part 1
  • Edison Film of 1904 Football Game at Regents Field, Part 2
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.