World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rhinebeck, New York

Article Id: WHEBN0000975419
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rhinebeck, New York  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John Jacob Astor IV, Rufus Wainwright, Emma Roberts, Philip Milledoler, Joseph Mazzello, Quentin Smith, George Rykert, Hyman Minsky, John Alvin, Peter R. Livingston
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Rhinebeck, New York

Rhinebeck, New York
Rhinebeck, New York
Rhinebeck, New York
Location within the state of New York

Coordinates: 41°55′39″N 73°54′32″W / 41.92750°N 73.90889°W / 41.92750; -73.90889Coordinates: 41°55′39″N 73°54′32″W / 41.92750°N 73.90889°W / 41.92750; -73.90889

Country United States
State New York
County Dutchess
 • Total 1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)
 • Land 1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)
 • Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)
Elevation 200 ft (61 m)
Population (2010)
 • Total 2,657
Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
 • Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP code 12572
Area code(s) 845
FIPS code 36-61346
GNIS feature ID 0962436

Rhinebeck is a village located in the Town of Rhinebeck in Dutchess County, New York, USA. The population was 2,657 at the 2010 census. It is part of the PoughkeepsieNewburghMiddletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New YorkNewarkBridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.

The Village of Rhinebeck is the principal community in the town. The postal ZIP code is 12572. US 9 passes through the village.


European settlement in the Rhinebeck area dates to 1686, when a group of Dutch crossed the river from Kingston and bought 2,200 acres (890 ha) of land from the local Iroquois nation. Later, Henry Beekman obtained a patent for the land, and saw a need for development to begin. He brought into the area Casper Landsman, a miller, and William Traphagen, a builder.

In 1703 the New York colonial assembly approved money for the construction of the King's Highway, later known as the Albany Post Road and today most of Route 9. Three years later Traphagen bought a tract of land in Beekman's patent where the King's Highway intersected the Sepasco Indian Trail, the route today followed by Market Street. He built a house and tavern on the trail a short distance west of the King's Highway. This was the beginning of Rhinebeck.

A decade later, in 1715, Beekman's son brought in 35 Palatine Germans who had fled religious persecution at home and had just concluded an attempt to produce naval stores for the British government on the lands of Robert Livingston to the north in what is now Columbia County. The village grew with the new arrivals. New trades established themselves, and in 1733 the Reformed Dutch Church had been built. Its first building was on the site of its current one at Mill and South streets. In 1766 the beginnings of the current Beekman Inn were erected. It has remained in operation as a hotel ever since.

In the mid-1770s, a soldier named Richard Montgomery moved from Knight's Bridge (now the Bronx), NY into the Rhinebeck village with his new wife, a member of the Livingston family. He had just begun to settle into life as a farmer when the American Revolution began. After being elected to the New York Provincial Congress, he was commissioned a general in the Continental Army, and died at the end of 1775 in the Battle of Quebec. Montgomery's cottage still stands, although it was moved to 77 Livingston Street, where it houses the local Daughters of the American Revolution chapter; the street it was on was later named in his honor.

After independence, the village continued to grow. The Town of Rhinebeck, which contains the village, was organized in 1788. The current Dutch Reformed Church was built in 1802, making it the oldest church in the village. The current route of East Market Street was laid out the same year during construction of the Ulster-Saulsbury Turnpike, later to become Route 308.

Rhinebeck continued to attract politicians. George Washington visited in 1796, dining at Bogardus's, the second Traphagen tavern, when he stayed at a nearby friend's house. During the 1804 gubernatorial election, both Aaron Burr and Morgan Lewis used taverns in Rhinebeck as campaign headquarters.

The village was incorporated in 1834. Ten years later, Alexander Jackson built the Henry Delamater House at 44 Montgomery Street. It still stands today, one of the best examples of the early use of the Gothic Revival style in American residential architecture.

By the 1850s, Rhinebeck had grown even further and acquired a reputation as a woodworking center. The town's name on milled products was a symbol of quality, and its furniture was shipped as far away as South Carolina. It was said to have no better in making carriages, coaches and sleighs. Some makers of clothing also achieved national prestige. The area was also acquiring a cachet as a location for the country estates of the Gilded Age wealthy, and those people could frequently be seen in town during the summer and on weekends.

In the late 1880s the village was visited by a President-elect. Levi P. Morton, a former congressman and ambassador to France, had settled in Bois Dore on Mill Street. Benjamin Harrison chose him to be his running mate on the 1888 Republican ticket. Harrison was visiting him in Rhinebeck later that year when word came to them that they had just been elected. Later, Morton would serve as governor of the state. He later died and was buried here.

The end of the 19th century saw a new industry center on Rhinebeck: the cultivation of violets. Roughly 20% of the village's population during the Gay Nineties was in this business in some way, and the total crop was later estimated to have exceeded a million dollars in value some years. Several of the "violet houses" built during this era survive and are located in the district.

An 1890 map of the village shows it as nearly coterminous with today's historic district. That area has remained mostly as it was at that time. A third president, Franklin D. Roosevelt, himself a native of nearby Hyde Park, New York, would play a role in the town's history during the later years of the Great Depression when he oversaw the design process for the new post office. He had long promoted Dutch-style fieldstone as a material for public buildings in the area, and told the architects to use Henry Beekman's house (burned in a 1910 fire) as their model and some of its remaining stones for the post office. He spoke at the dedication ceremony and helped lay the cornerstone.

The oldest building in the village is the Benner House, built in 1739.


According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), of which, 1.6 is land and 0.61% is water.


As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 3,077 people, 1,376 households, and 690 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,902.1 inhabitants per square mile (734.4 /km2). There were 1,463 housing units at an average density of 904.4 per square mile (348.7/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 94.54% White, 1.92% Black or African American, 0.16% Native American, 1.14% Asian, 1.14% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.96% of the population.

There were 1,376 households out of which 19.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.7% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 49.8% were non-families. 43.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.00 and the average family size was 2.78.

In the village the population was spread out with 18.9% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 23.3% from 25 to 44, 24.2% from 45 to 64, and 28.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 women there were 80.6 men. For every 100 women age 18 and over, there were 70.5 men.

The median income for a household in the village was $41,639, and the median income for a family was $57,000. Males had a median income of $46,653 versus $40,058 for females. The per capita income for the village was $28,773. About 3.4% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.7% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.

Notable people

See also

Hudson Valley portal


  • Book titled Rhinebeck's Historic Architecture by Nancy Kelly
  • Book titled A Brief History of Rhinebeck by Nancy Kelly
  • Book titled History of Rhinebeck by Edward Smith
  • Book titled Rhinebeck: Echoes of Two Centuries

External links

  • Town & Village of Rhinebeck official Web site
  • Town & Village of Rhinebeck chamber of commerce
  • Rhinebeck is the site of a well-known annual fiber festival
  • Rhinebeck Community Forum
  • Starr Library
  • Text and video blog for the Rhinebeck area
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt address at the dedication of the Rhinebeck Post Office
  • Museum of Rhinebeck History
  • Consortium of Rhinebeck History Digital Collections
  • Macaroni Kid Poughkeepsie family friendly events calendar
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.