World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ropaži Municipality

Article Id: WHEBN0022079613
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ropaži Municipality  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Administrative divisions of Latvia, Carnikava Municipality, Ikšķile Municipality, Garkalne Municipality, Mālpils Municipality
Collection: Municipalities of Latvia
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ropaži Municipality

Ropaži Municipality
Ropažu novads
Municipality
Flag of Ropaži Municipality
Flag
Coat of arms of Ropaži Municipality
Coat of arms
Country  Latvia
Formed 2005
Centre Ropaži
Government
 • Mayor Antons Cibuļskis
Area[1]
 • Total 322 km2 (124 sq mi)
Population (2009)[2]
 • Total 6,832
 • Density 21/km2 (55/sq mi)
Website .lv.ropaziwww

Ropaži Municipality (Ropaži parish the administrative centre being Ropaži.

The center of Ropaži is 36 km from Riga, the capital of Latvia. Through the territory of Ropaži municipality pass the Riga – Ērgļi railway, the European route E67 also known as Via Baltica, and the highways Riga – Lubāna and OgreInčukalns.

Territory: 322 km².

Population: 6.832 inhabitants.

As of January 1, 2002 the largest villages are:

History of Ropaži

The territory of Ropaži district has been inhabited since the Stone AgeNeolithic era, (3,000 years B.C.) 4 ancient cemeteries and stone objects found there give proof of that.

The first written evidences of Ropaži and its inhabitants go back to 1205, when Henry of Livonia mentioned Ropaži in the Indrikis chronicles. A. Beilenstein considered the inhabitants of the district to be Liivs of the Daugava. In about 1320 the Livonian Order built a stone castle at Ropaži which served as a centre of district administration. The castle was destroyed in the Livonian War, in the 17th century. In 1320 the Lutheran Parish was mentioned.

In the 16th century one of the most important routes of Vidzeme led through Ropaži.

In the 18th century the baronial Bergi family obtained Ropaži manor and carried out large construction works. The gardener Daniel Ebel formed one of the first garden parks of Latvia. In an area of 93,000 square metres 29 species of trees and bushes were planted.

In reports of 1736 we can find information about the education of children. In 1766 the parish school “Parupes” was established. Two famous Latvians worked there: the writer and translator Augusts Kažoks, an adherent of the "The New Current", and the poet Doku Atis.

On 18 August 1804 the clergyman C. von Walter described Professor Robertson’s flight from Riga to Ropaži in a hot-air balloon.

In 1855 Ropaži manor became the property of Baron Victor von Wolf. At the beginning of the 19th century the Ropaži manor was burned down.

Ropaži was seriously affected by World War I and World War II. In year 1949 over 150 inhabitants suffered repressions.

In 1936 Ropaži 7–grade Primary School was built; in 1960 it was changed to a secondary school.

In Ropaži are many significant cultural and natural features:

  • Kangari Hills – 65 m above sea level, and a restricted nature area of 6.72 km²
  • Lielkangari Marsh - 8.32 km²
  • Ancient cemetery – Stone Age

See also

References

  1. ^ The Ministry of Regional Development and Local Government of the Republic of Latvia
  2. ^ The Central Election Commission of Latvia

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.