World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rouen-Les-Essarts

Article Id: WHEBN0001308246
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rouen-Les-Essarts  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Project Four Racing, Jo Vonlanthen, Alex Ribeiro
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rouen-Les-Essarts

Circuit de Rouen-Les Essarts
map of the track
Location Grand-Couronne commune, near Rouen, France
Time zone GMT +1 (DST: +2)
Major events French Grand Prix
Formula 2, French Touring Car Championship
Final configuration (1974-1994)
Surface Asphalt, cobblestones
Length 5.543 km (3.444 mi)
Turns 13
Second configuration (1955-1970)
Surface Asphalt, cobblestones
Length 6.542 km (4.065 mi)
Turns 12
Lap record 2:11.4 ( Jack Brabham, Brabham-Climax, 1964, Formula One)
Original configuration (1951-1954)
Surface Asphalt, cobblestones
Length 5.100 km (3.169 mi)
Turns 10

Rouen-Les-Essarts was a 6.542 km (4.065 mi) motor racing circuit in Grand-Couronne, near Rouen, France.

From its opening in 1950, Rouen-Les-Essarts was recognized as one of Europe's finest circuits, with modern pits, a wide track, and spectator grandstands. The circuit (which ran on public roads) had a few medium straights, a cobbled hairpin turn (Nouveau Monde) at the southernmost tip, and a few blind corners through a wooded hillside The appeal was greatly enhanced by the climb from Nouveau Monde at 56 metres to Gresil at 149 metres.

Rouen hosted five Formula One French Grand Prix races, the last one in 1968 resulting in the tragic burning death of Jo Schlesser, at the fast downhill Six Frères curve. The circuit continued to host major Formula 2 events until 1978, after which it was used for various French Championships.

The circuit had a number of different configurations. From its construction in 1950 until 1954 it was 5.1 km (3.2 mi) in length. In 1955 major works increased the circuit's length to 6.542 km (4.065 mi), its most famous configuration. Construction of a new Autoroute across the circuit saw a new section of track built and the length of the circuit reduced to 5.543 km (3.444 mi). Finally, in 1974 a permanent chicane was built at Six Frères and this part of the circuit was renamed Des Roches.

The circuit was closed down in 1994 due to economic and safety reasons, since it is very hard to organise a race on public roads if modern safety standards are to be met. In 1999, following the circuit's closure all evidence of area's racing past was demolished, including grandstands, pits, Armco and track signs. The cobbled Nouveau Monde hairpin was also asphalted but it is still possible to drive around on the original circuit configuration.

The name "Les Essarts" comes from a village, which was included into the commune of Grand-Couronne in 1874.

External links

  • Rouen-Les-Essarts - France's Forgotten Treasure Remembered
  • Satellite picture by Google Maps
  • Rouen Seine valley Tourist Board's Website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.