World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Royal Plaza (Thailand)

Article Id: WHEBN0003986415
Reproduction Date:

Title: Royal Plaza (Thailand)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dusit Palace, Siamese revolution of 1932, Thai Royal Guards parade, Dusit District, Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Royal Plaza (Thailand)

The Royal Plaza, with King Rama V Equestrian Monument and Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall

The Royal Plaza, or formally Dusit Palace Plaza (Thai: ลานพระราชวังดุสิต; rtgsLan Phra Ratcha Wang Dusit), and also known in Thailand as Equestrian Plaza (Thai: ลานพระบรมรูปทรงม้า; rtgsLan Phra Borommarup Song Ma), is a public square in Bangkok, Thailand ().

It is located in front of Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall in Dusit Palace, Dusit, Bangkok, which was the former reception hall of the palace where King Chulalongkorn Rama V once lived, and was later used as the first parliament building. On 24 June 1932, the plaza and the throne hall witnessed one of the most important events in Thai history as the People's Party staged a bloodless revolution that transformed the country from absolute monarchy to democratic constitutional monarchy. The plaza was the rally site for People's Party supporters demanding the constitution. The first permanent constitution was ceremoniously granted in the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall on 10 December 1932. Next to the plaza is Amporn Garden, the venue of the annual Red Cross Fair. Dusit Zoo is also located near the plaza. At the center of the plaza is the Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn Rama V, the Great Beloved King.

History

The Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn Rama V the Great was erected in 1908 two years before his death from a fund raised by the Thai people. The statue was cast in Paris by King Rama VI on the establishment of Chulalongkorn University, which was named after King Chulalongkorn, Rama V.

See also


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.