World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Shilton railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0021535569
Reproduction Date:

Title: Shilton railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Shilton
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Shilton railway station

Not to be confused with Shildon railway station.
Shilton
Operations
Original company LNWR
Post-grouping London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Platforms 3
History
15 September 1847 Station opens
16 September 1957 Station closes[1]
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Shilton railway station was a railway station serving Shilton in the English county of Warwickshire. on the Trent Valley Line of the LNWR. [2]

It was situated where Church Road crosses the line. The booking office was built on the bridge, with steps down to the two island platforms. Initially there were two running lines when the station opened in 1847. A third up line was added between Bulkington and Rugby in 1871, for which an extra arch was built for the bridge. This became a passenger line in 1876 utilising the opposite side of the up platform, and a further line provided sidings for 22 wagons. On the down side was a refuge siding from under the bridge, which later became the down goods and also became a loop from the main line. However although it ran next to the platform, it was fenced off.

The booking office was built with brick for the front and side walls, but the rest of it was timber which, over the years, became more and more dilapidated. The covered steps to the platforms were of corrugated iron. So it was not a pretty station and platform facilities were minimal, little more than a small waiting shelter on the down platform.

At grouping in 1923 it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. It closed in 1957

References

External links

  • Shilton. Railway Station

 
 

Coordinates: 52°27′18″N 1°24′27″W / 52.4550°N 1.4075°W / 52.4550; -1.4075

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.