World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Syracuse Air Defense Sector

Article Id: WHEBN0023030794
Reproduction Date:

Title: Syracuse Air Defense Sector  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 34th Air Division, 32d Air Division, Semi-Automatic Ground Environment, Aerospace Defense Command, 112th Air Refueling Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Syracuse Air Defense Sector

Syracuse Air Defense Sector
Emblem of the Syracuse Air Defense Sector
Active 1956–1963
Country United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Role Air Defense
Part of Air Defense Command
Map of Syracuse ADS

The Syracuse Air Defense Sector (SADS) is an inactive Air Defense Command (ADC) 26th Air Division at Hancock Field, New York.

History

SADS was established in October 1956 as the 4624th Air Defense Wing, SAGE at Syracuse Air Force Station (AFS), New York, assuming control of former ADC radar squadrons.

On 15 August 1958 the new Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-03) and Combat Center (CC-01) became operational. DC-03 was equipped with dual AN/FSQ-7 Computers. The day-to-day operations of the command were to train and maintain tactical units flying jet interceptor aircraft (F-89 Scorpion, F-101 Voodoo, F-102 Delta Dagger) and operating radars and interceptor missiles (CIM-10 Bomarc)in a state of readiness with training missions and a series of exercises with Strategic Air Command and other units simulating interceptions of incoming enemy aircraft. In early 1958, Syracuse AFS was renamed Hancock Field.

The Sector was inactivated on 4 September 1963 when the 26th Air Division headquarters moved to Hancock Field and the Syracuse Sector, in a realignment of sector boundaries, merged with the Boston Air Defense Sector.

Lineage

  • Designated as 4624th Air Defense Wing, SAGE and organized on 1 October 1956
Redesignated Syracuse Air Defense Sector on 8 January 1957
Inactivated on 4 September 1963

Assignments

  • 32nd Air Division, 1 October 1956
  • 26th Air Division, 15 August 1958 – 4 September 1963

Stations

  • Syracuse AFS, (later Hancock Field) New York, 1 October 1956 – 4 September 1963

Components

Group

Niagara Falls Municipal Airport, New York, 1 September 1958 - 1 July 1960

Interceptor Squadron

Griffiss AFB, New York, 1 August 1959 - 4 September 1963

Missile Squadron

Niagara Falls Air Force Missile Site, New York, 1 June 1960 - 4 September 1963

Radar Squadrons

Weapons Systems

  • F-89J, 1959-1959
  • F-101B, 1959-1963
  • F-102A, 1958-1960
  • IM-99 (later CIM-10), 1960-1963

See also

Notes

  1. ^ Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. p. 37 (Map). 
  2. ^ Factsheet, 15th Air Base Wing (accessed 5 Feb 2012)
  3. ^ Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 213.  
  4. ^ Factsheet, 49th Fighter Training Squadron (accessed 5 Feb 2012)]
  5. ^ Cornett & Johnson, p. 150
  6. ^ a b c Cornett & Johnson, pp. 156-58
  7. ^ a b Cornett & Johnson, pp. 165-67

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External images
SAGE facilities
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.