World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247)

Article Id: WHEBN0019402421
Reproduction Date:

Title: USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247)

Career (USA)
Name: Private John F. Thorson
Namesake: A U.S. Army name retained: John F. Thorson
Ordered: as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2486
Builder: Southeastern Shipbuilding Corporation, Savannah, Georgia
Laid down: 8 January 1945
Launched: 26 February 1945
Sponsored by: Mrs. L. S. deSevilla
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy, 1 March 1950
Commissioned: 31 October 1947 as USAT Private John F. Thorson
Decommissioned: 1 March 1950
In service: 1 March 1950 as USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247)
Out of service: 2 August 1954
Struck: 1 October 1958
Fate: scrapped, 29 August 1960
General characteristics
Type: Alamosa-class cargo ship
Tonnage: 2,382 tons
Tons burthen: 6,240 tons
Length: 388' 8"
Beam: 50'
Draft: 21' 1"
Propulsion: Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp
Speed: 11.5 knots
Complement: 85 officers and enlisted
Armament: none

USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed for the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. However, the war ended, and she was transferred to the U.S. Army as USAT Private John F. Thorson who kept her in service until transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1950. She was struck in 1960, ending her military career.

Built in Savannah, Georgia

Private John F. Thorson, a cargo ship, was laid down as Becket Bend (MC hull 2486) by the Southeastern Shipbuilding Corporation, Savannah, Georgia on 8 January 1945; launched 26 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. L. S. deSevilla; and delivered via the U.S. Maritime Commission to Moore-McCormack Lines, Inc. 6 July 1945.

As Becket Bend, the cargo ship was operated by MooreMcCormack under General Agency Agreement. Title for the ship was transferred from the War Shipping Administration to the Army 23 July 1954 and the actual transfer to custody took place two days later at New Orleans, Louisiana.

U.S. Army service

Renamed Private John F. Thorson 31 October 1947, she operated as an Army Transportation Service ship until transferred to the Navy 1 March 1950.

U.S. Navy service

Placed in service as T–AK–247, she was assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) and operated from Gulf ports until 1954. Transferred to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Charleston, South Carolina, Group, she decommissioned 2 August 1954 and was struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958.

Final inactivation

Private John F. Thorson remained at Charleston until transferred to the U.S. Maritime Administration 29 August 1960. The same day she was sold to Hugo New Steel Products, New York City, for scrap.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - T-AK-247 Pvt John F. Thorson


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.