World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126)

Article Id: WHEBN0011876033
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of United States Naval Academy alumni
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126)


USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126)
in San Francisco Bay, California.
Career (USA)
Name: USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126)
Namesake: Admiral Hugh Rodman, US Navy
Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation
Laid down: 24 April 1944
Launched: 25 February 1945
Commissioned: 7 July 1945
Renamed: USAT General Maurice Rose, 1 August 1946
Namesake: General Maurice Rose, US Army
Renamed: USNS General Maurice Rose (T-AP-126), 1 March 1950
Decommissioned: Transferred to the permanent custody of the Maritime Administration (MARAD), 30 June 1970
Struck: 20 August 1990
Fate: Scrapped 1997
General characteristics
Class & type: Template:Sclass/core
Displacement: 9,676 tons dockside
Tons burthen: 20,120 tons fully laden
Length: 608 feet 11 inches (185.60 m)
Beam: 75 feet 6 inches (23.01 m)
Draft: 26 feet 6 inches (8.08 m)
Installed power: 19,000 shp
Propulsion: turbo-electric transmission,
twin screw
Speed: 19 knots (35 km/h)
Capacity: 100,000 cubic feet (2,800 m3) of cargo
Troops: 5,200
Crew: 618
Armament: 4 × 5"/38 caliber gun mounts
8 × twin Bofors 40 mm gun mounts
14 × twin Oerlikon 20 mm cannon gun mounts

USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126) was an Template:Sclass/core: Laid down, 24 April 1944, as a Maritime Commission type (P2-SE2-R1) hull, under Maritime Commission contract, (MC hull 684), at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Alameda, California; Launched, 25 February 1945; Commissioned USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126), 7 July 1945, Capt. Lewis E. Coley in command; Decommissioned, 14 May 1946, at New York; Transferred to the U.S. Army Transportation Service in May 1946; Commissioned USAT General Maurice Rose, 1 August 1946; Reacquired by the U.S. Navy and assigned to the Military Sea Transport Service (MSTS); Placed in service as USNS General Maurice Rose (T-AP-126), 1 March 1950.

World War II Pacific Theatre operations

Assigned to the United States Pacific Fleet, the transport departed San Francisco, on 21 July 1945 for a shakedown cruise which took her to San Diego and Los Angeles. She returned to her home port on 16 August – two days after hostilities with Japan ended — and embarked fresh troops to replace war-weary veterans in the Far East. She transited the Golden Gate on 21 August and proceeded via Ulithi to the Philippines. Following stops at San Pedro Bay, Leyte, and Batangas and Manila, Luzon, she headed home and reached San Francisco, early in October.

Then, following a second round-trip voyage to the Philippines, she again got underway from San Francisco, in December, and set course for Nagoya, Japan. This shuttle run ended at Los Angeles, on 3 January 1946. Another voyage to Japan – this time to Yokohama – took her back to Seattle, Washington. Early in March, she sailed from that port with occupation troops and delivered them to Okinawa.

Transferred to the US Army

From that island in the Ryukyu Islands, the ship sailed, via the Panama Canal, for the east coast of the United States. She reached New York on 14 May, was decommissioned on that day, and was transferred to the War Department later that month. The ship entered the Bethlehem New York yard at 56th Street on 3 June to receive the repairs and modifications she would require upon assuming a slightly different role. She got underway again on 1 August and served the U.S. Army Transport Service as General Maurice Rose until she and her sister U.S. Army transports were transferred to the U.S. Navy on 1 March 1950 to serve in the recently established Military Sea Transportation Service.

Transferred to the US Navy

She was given the classification T-AP-126 at that time. Manned by a civilian crew, General Maurice Rose operated out of New York in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean during the next 15 years.

Transporting Soldiers and Refugees

Steaming primarily between New York and Bremerhaven, Germany, she completed more than 150 round-trip voyages while carrying military dependents and European refugees and rotating combat-ready troops. In addition, the ship deployed to the Mediterranean 17 times to support U.S. 6th Fleet operations. Following the gallant, but abortive, Hungarian revolution in October 1956, she completed three runs to Bremerhaven, Germany, and back between 12 January and 27 March 1957 transporting Hungarian refugees to the United States. On three occasions between 1 April and 5 October, General Maurice Rose was dispatched to the eastern Mediterranean to support units of the U.S. 6th Fleet responding to political crises in Jordan. The General Maurice Rose was still transporting troops between New York and Bremerhaven, Germany in July 1958.

Vietnam Crisis Operations

In 1965, however, America's increased involvement in the war in Vietnam beckoned the transport toward a new theater of operations. After completing nine voyages to Bremerhaven, Germany, and back between 16 January and 4 August 1965, General Maurice Rose departed New York on 14 August for transport duty to southeast Asia. She sailed via Long Beach, California, and Pearl Harbor to Qui Nhon, South Vietnam, where she arrived on 14 September and began debarking troops and supplies. After departing Vietnam on the 19th, she steamed via Okinawa and the U.S. West Coast and reached New York on 18 October.

During the first eight months of 1966, she made eight round-trip runs to Europe and back. On 8 September, she again departed New York for troop lift duty to South Vietnam. She operated in the western Pacific supporting the forces of freedom in southeast Asia through the end of 1966. She returned to New York late in January 1967 for an overhaul and was placed in ready reserve status. As such she was laid up at the Cavin Point Army Depot in New York harbor.

Deactivation

General Maurice Rose was placed in ready reserve status and laid up in the Cavin Point Army Depot in New York harbor in 1967. She was transferred to the permanent custody of the Maritime Administration (MARAD), 30 June 1970 and shifted to the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Fort Eustis, Virginia. She was struck from the Naval Register, 20 August 1990 and sold by the Maritime Administration in June 1997 for scrapping at Brownsville, Texas.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.