USS Bullock (AK-165)

Career (US)
Namesake: A county in southeastern Alabama established on 5 December 1866
Ordered: as C1-M-AV1 hull, MC hull 2110
Laid down: 26 September 1944
Launched: 2 December 1944
Acquired: 2 March 1945
Commissioned: 2 March 1945
Decommissioned: 13 March 1946
Struck: 28 March 1946
Fate: Sold in 1947
General characteristics
Displacement: 2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)
Length: 388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draught: 21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)
Propulsion: diesel engine, single screw, 1,700shp
Speed: 11.5 kts
Complement: 79
Armament: one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20mm guns

USS Bullock (AK-165) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.

Bullock was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2110) on 26 September 1944 at Richmond, California, by Kaiser Cargo, Inc.; launched on 2 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. L. Barker; acquired by the Navy on 2 March 1945; and commissioned that same day, Lt. Henry N. Barkhausen in command.

World War II Pacific Theatre operations

After a brief fitting out period at Oakland, California, the new cargo ship, with its inexperienced crew, got underway on 19 March 1945 for a shakedown cruise. Trial runs, tests of operating gear, and a full scale battle problem pointed out deficiencies in both ship and crew that received intensive work during the succeeding weeks. Bullock returned to San Francisco, California, on 12 April and loaded hull and engine spares, radio and radar gear, and frozen and chilled provisions to carry to the Admiralty Islands and the Philippine Islands. The cargo ship departed San Francisco on 20 April and headed for Manus where she arrived 23 days later.

Operating in “rear areas”

Between 13 May and 14 December, Bullock ferried military passengers and cargo between Manus, the Philippines, the Netherlands East Indies, and New Guinea. Having entered the war late and consigned to rear areas, the cargo ship never faced an enemy air or surface attack, although, while underway, she still steered zigzag courses and held battle drills because the threat of submarine attack, remote though it was, still existed. Bullock's mission did not change with the cessation of hostilities in August. She continued to transport supplies until 14 December, when she weighed anchor at Manila Bay and headed for the United States.

Post-war decommissioning

Bullock transited the Panama Canal on 28 January 1946 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet for duty. She arrived in Norfolk, Virginia, on 8 February, but received orders to Baltimore, Maryland, to be decommissioned. Bullock was decommissioned and returned to the Maritime Commission on 13 March 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 March 1946. She was operated by Dichmann, Wright, and Pugh in 1947 and then sold to the Turkish government, for whom she began operation in 1948 under the name SS Edirne. Her ultimate fate is not known.

Military awards and honors

The record does not indicate any battle stars for Bullock. However, her crew was eligible for the following medals:

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-165 Bullock


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.