World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Charles Ausburn (DD-294)

Article Id: WHEBN0002065290
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Charles Ausburn (DD-294)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Charles Ausburn (DD-294)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Charles Ausburn.
Career (US)
Namesake: Charles Lawrence Ausburne
Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum Victory Yard
Laid down: 11 September 1919
Launched: 18 December 1919
Commissioned: 23 March 1920
Decommissioned: 1 May 1930
Struck: 22 October 1930
Fate: sold for scrapping, 17 January 1931
General characteristics
Class & type: Clemson-class destroyer
Displacement: 1,215 tons
Length: 314 feet 4 inches (95.81 m)
Beam: 31 feet 8 inches (9.65 m)
Draft: 9 feet 10 inches (3 m)
Propulsion: 26,500 shp (20 MW);
geared turbines,
2 screws
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range: 4,900 nmi (9,100 km)
  @ 15 kt
Complement: 122 officers and enlisted
Armament: 4 × 4" (102 mm), 1 × 3" (76 mm), 12 × 21" (533 mm) torpedo tubes

The first USS Charles Ausburn (DD-294) was a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy following World War I. She was named for Charles Lawrence Ausburne.

History

Charles Ausburn was launched 18 December 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum, Massachusetts; sponsored by Mrs. D. K. Ausburn; and commissioned 23 March 1920, Lieutenant M. W. Hutchinson, Jr., in command.

Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Charles Ausburn operated from Charleston, South Carolina, Norfolk, Virginia and Newport, Rhode Island along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean through 1924, serving with a reduced complement from October 1920 to May 1922. During those years, as she participated in fleet exercises and training maneuvers, she aided in the development and application of new ideas in naval warfare. In the fall of 1923, Charles Ausburn was equipped to carry a seaplane, with which she performed experiments in the rapidly developing field of naval aviation.

In late summer of 1924, Charles Ausburn cruised to northern latitudes to provide plane guard service in the round-the-world flight of Army aircraft, maintaining stations off Greenland and Newfoundland. On 18 June 1925, she sailed from Boston for a year of duty off Europe and in the Mediterranean, visiting at a large number of ports before her return to New York 11 July 1926. She continued her operations with the fleet, often providing facilities for the training of reservists, until 1 May 1930, when she was decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. There she was sold 17 January 1931.

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/294.htm
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.