World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Converse (DD-291)

Article Id: WHEBN0002065057
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Converse (DD-291)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Converse
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Converse (DD-291)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Converse.
Career (US)
Namesake: George A. Converse
Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum Victory Yard
Laid down: 13 August 1919
Launched: 28 November 1919
Commissioned: 28 April 1920
Decommissioned: 1 May 1930
Struck: 17 January 1931
Fate: sold for scrapping, 17 January 1931
General characteristics
Class & type: Clemson-class destroyer
Displacement: 1,215 tons
Length: 314 feet 5 inches (95.83 m)
Beam: 31 feet 8 inches (9.65 m)
Draft: 9 feet 4 inches (2.84 m)
Propulsion: 26,500 shp (20 MW);
geared turbines,
2 screws
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range: 4,900 nmi (9,100 km)
  @ 15 kt
Complement: 120 officers and enlisted
Armament: 4 × 4" (102 mm), 2 × 3" (76 mm), 4 × 21" (533 mm) torpedo tubes

The first USS Converse (DD-291) was a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy following World War I. She was named for George A. Converse.

History

Converse was launched 28 November 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum, Massachusetts; sponsored by Miss E. C. Colt; commissioned 28 April 1920, Lieutenant Commander E. G. Haas in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

Converse was placed in reserve status 11 June 1920 operating in New England waters with 50 percent of her complement on training cruises for members of the Naval Reserve.

After testing the Arma gyro compass, Converse operated from 15 November 1921 with Scouting Fleet. Returned to full commission 1 July 1922, she cruised on the east coast and in Caribbean waters. Converse with Lieutenant Commander A. Mc Glassen commanding, sailed from Newport, Rhode Island 18 June 1924 to join U.S. Naval Forces in European Waters, visiting Antwerp, Amsterdam, Cherbourg and Southampton before returning to New York 16 July 1925.

In 1926 and 1927 Converse again served as training ship for the Naval Reserve making two cruises each summer to Newport and the Caribbean. From 23 February 1927 she tested the Flettner rudder during her cruising.

In 1928 Converse was designated as Experimental Ship, Scouting Fleet. She made test runs for the Bureau of Engineering in the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay, then fired experimental torpedoes at Newport and Charleston, South Carolina. She rejoined her squadron at Norfolk, Virginia 4 January 1929 for regular operations until decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1 May 1930. She was sold 17 January 1931 to be scrapped in accordance with the London Naval Treaty which called for the limitation and reduction of naval armaments.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/291.htm
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.