World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Flusser (DD-289)

Article Id: WHEBN0002068937
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Flusser (DD-289)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Flusser, Robert P. Briscoe
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Flusser (DD-289)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Flusser.
Career (US)
Namesake: Charles W. Flusser
Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum Victory Yard
Laid down: 21 July 1919
Launched: 7 November 1919
Commissioned: 25 February 1920
Decommissioned: 1 May 1930
Struck: 22 October 1930
Fate: sold for scrapping, 17 January 1931
General characteristics
Class & type: Clemson-class destroyer
Displacement: 1,190 tons
Length: 314 feet 5 inches (95.83 m)
Beam: 31 feet 8 inches (9.65 m)
Draft: 9 feet 4 inches (2.84 m)
Propulsion: 26,500 shp (20 MW);
geared turbines,
2 screws
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range: 4,900 nmi (9,100 km)
  @ 15 kt
Complement: 120 officers and enlisted
Armament: 4 × 4" (102 mm), 4 × 21" (533 mm) torpedo tubes

The third USS Flusser (DD-289) was a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy following World War I. She was named for Charles W. Flusser.

History

Flusser was launched 7 November 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum, Massachusetts; sponsored by Mrs. Maude F. Williams; and commissioned 25 February 1920, Commander R. S. Galloway in command.

Flusser's first active service was patrol duty in Mexican waters between 9 May 1920 and 17 June, based at Key West. She carried out a comprehensive training schedule along the east coast and in the Caribbean until 18 June 1924 when she sailed from Newport, Rhode Island for a tour of duty with U.S. Naval Forces, Europe, calling at ports in 15 countries before returning to New York 16 July 1925.

Returning to east coast and Caribbean operations, Flusser aided in the development of destroyer tactics and carried reservists on training cruises until decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1 May 1930. She was scrapped 22 October 1930 in accordance with the terms of the London Treaty limiting naval armaments.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/289.htm
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.