World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Interceptor (AGR-8)

Article Id: WHEBN0019094759
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Interceptor (AGR-8)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Scanner (AGR-5), USS Vigil (AGR-12), USS Interpreter (AGR-14), USS Investigator (AGR-9), USS Protector (AGR-11)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Interceptor (AGR-8)

History
Union Navy Jack United States
Name: USS Interceptor
Namesake: One who intercepts
Ordered: as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 3147
Builder: J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida
Laid down: date unknown, as Liberty ship Edward W. Burton
Launched: 12 September 1945
Sponsored by: Miss Juanita M. Kaylor
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy, 28 June 1955
Commissioned: 15 February 1956 as USS Interceptor (YAGR-8) at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina
Decommissioned: 1 September 1965
Renamed: Interceptor 15 February 1956
Reclassified: AGR-8, 28 September 1958
Refit: converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina
Struck: 1 September 1965
Homeport: San Francisco, California
Honors and
awards:
National Defense Service Medal
Fate: scrapped, 16 February 1978
General characteristics
Type: Guardian-class radar picket ship
Tons burthen: 10,760 tons
Length: 441' 6"
Beam: 56' 11"
Draft: 24'
Installed power: two Electric Generators
Propulsion: two 220 PSI boilers; one 3 cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; one 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower 2,500
Speed: 11 knots
Capacity: Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water
Complement: 13 officers, 138 enlisted
Armament: two 3"/50 guns

USS Interceptor (AGR-8/YAGR-8) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1955 from the “mothballed” reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Pacific Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.

Liberty ship built in Florida

Intercepter (YAGR-8) was launched as Liberty Ship Edward W, Burton by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Inc., Panama City, Florida, 12 September 1945; sponsored by Miss Juanita M. Kaylor; and delivered to T..J. Stevenson & Co. 8 November 1945.

She served several lines as a cargo ship until being placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Wilmington, North Carolina, 20 June 1948. Acquired by the Navy 28 June 1955, the ship was converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard and commissioned Interceptor 15 February 1956, Lieutenant Commander (LCDR) Boyd Lorenzo Hall in command. Boyd L. Hall

Radar picket duty

Interceptor was designed to carry the latest in long-range radar and communications equipment and to act as an ocean radar station ship. Following shakedown training she sailed from Charleston, South Carolina, 17 March en route to her new home port, San Francisco, California.

Arriving via the Panama Canal 11 April, the ship began a regular cycle of 3- to 4-week at-sea periods as a picket ship under the Continental Air Defense Command. Operating with search aircraft, Interceptor could detect, track, and report aircraft at great distances as well as control interceptor aircraft in the event of an air attack on the United States.

Patrolling off the coast of Canada she formed an integral part of North America's air early warning system. Reclassified AGR-8, radar picket ship, 28 September 1958, Interceptor for the next 7 years operated with NORAD in forming an important link in the nation's defenses.

Decommissioning

Interceptor was struck from the Navy List 1 September 1965 and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, California, where she remained until sold for scrapping, 16 February 1978.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.