World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Kestrel (AMCU-26)

Article Id: WHEBN0011801802
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Kestrel (AMCU-26)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Kestrel (AMCU-26)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Kestrel.
Career
Name: USS Kestrel
Builder: New Jersey Shipbuilding Company, Barber, New Jersey
Laid down: 7 September 1944
Launched: 6 October 1944
Commissioned: 13 October 1944, as USS LCI(L)-874
Decommissioned: 10 July 1946
Recommissioned: 8 February 1954, as USS Kestrel (AMCU-26)
Decommissioned: 2 December 1957
Reclassified: AMCU-26, 7 March 1952
MHC-26, February 1955
Fate: Sold, 28 June 1960
General characteristics
Class & type: Template:Sclass/core
Displacement: 216 long tons (219 t) light
234 long tons (238 t) landing
Length: 159 ft (48 m)
Beam: 24 ft (7.3 m)
Draft: 6 ft (1.8 m)
Propulsion: 8 × GM diesel engines (4 per shaft), 1,600 bhp (1,193 kW)
2 × variable pitch propellers
Speed: 14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph)
Complement: 2 officers, 21 enlisted
Armament: 5 × 20 mm AA guns

USS Kestrel (AMCU-26) was an Template:Sclass/core of the United States Navy, later converted to an AMCU-7-class Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator).

The ship was laid down on 7 September 1944 by the New Jersey Shipbuilding Company, of Barber, New Jersey, launched on 6 October 1944, and commissioned as USS LSI(L)-874 on 13 October 1944.

Service history

1944–1946

Following shakedown and training off the Atlantic coast, LCI(L)-874 departed Key West, Florida on 25 November for the Pacific. She engaged in additional training after arriving San Diego, California on 13 December. Departing on 29 January 1945, she touched Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Guam before arriving Peleliu on 12 April. She performed picket and patrol duty in the Palau Islands during the remaining months of World War II.

From September 1945 to February 1946, LCI(L)-874 operated between the Palau and Mariana Islands, providing mail and shuttle service among the Islands. Departing Eniwetok on 4 February she arrived at San Pedro, California, a month later. Sailing to Oregon in May LCI(L)-874 was decommissioned there on 10 July 1946 and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

1952–1957

She was reclassified as a Coastal Minesweeper (Underwater Locator), and renamed USS Kestrel (AMCU-26) on 7 March 1952. Conversion to AMCU-26 began 24 August 1953 at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, and was completed on 1 March 1954.

Kestrel was recommissioned on 8 February 1954, Lt. Gurley P. Chatelain in command. After shakedown and training, she arrived San Diego, California, on 27 March for operations in the 11th Naval District. From 1954 to 1957, Kestrel operated out of San Diego on underwater mine location exercises. She was reclassified as a Coastal Minehunter, MHC-26, in February 1955.

Kestrel was decommissioned at San Diego on 2 December 1957. She was sold to Murphy Marine Service on 28 June 1960.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • Photo gallery of USS Kestrel (LSI(L)-874/AMCU-26) at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.