USS McMinnville (PCS-1401)

Career (United States)
Name: USS PCS-1401
Builder: South Coast Co.
Newport Beach, California
Laid down: 3 March 1944 as YMS-452
Reclassified: PCS-1401, 23 June 1944
Launched: 22 July 1944
Commissioned: 21 February 1945
Decommissioned: 1 June 1955
In service: 1 June 1955
Homeport: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Renamed: McMinnville, 15 February 1956
Namesake: Towns in Oregon and Tennessee
Struck: 1 August 1962
Fate: Sold, 28 May 1963
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 251 tons (lt.)
Length: 136 ft (41 m)
Beam: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
Draft: 10 ft (3.0 m)
Speed: 14 knots (26 km/h)
Complement: 57
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber dual purpose gun mount
2 × 20 mm guns
1 × depth charge track

USS McMinnville (PCS-1401) was a built for the United States Navy during World War II. Originally known only by her designation, as USS PCS-1401, she was renamed later in her career after towns in Oregon and Tennessee, and is the only U.S. Navy ship to have been named McMinnville.

History

McMinnville was laid down as YMS-452 by South Coast Co. of Newport Beach, California on 3 March 1944. She was redesignated PCS-1401 on 23 June 1944; launched 22 July 1944; and commissioned at Newport Beach 21 February 1945, Lt. R. P. Gray in command.

After shakedown training out of San Diego, California, PCS-1401 reported for duty with the West Coast Sound Training Squadron at San Diego 25 March 1945. During the closing months of World War II she operated off southern California training men in antisubmarine warfare sonar techniques. She had similar duty out of San Diego over the next decade, joining Service Squadron 1 in November 1954.

On 31 March 1955 she left San Diego for Panama, New Orleans, Louisiana, and Chattanooga, Tennessee, where she decommissioned 1 June 1955, was placed in an "in service" status, and began training naval reservists of the Chattanooga area.

Renamed McMinnville on 15 February 1956, she continued service in maintaining reserve readiness until struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 August 1962. She was sold to Marine Exploration Co. of Miami, Florida on 28 May 1963.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of McMinnville at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.