World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Mifflin (APA-207)

Article Id: WHEBN0008125302
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Mifflin (APA-207)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Mifflin (APA-207)

Career
Namesake: Mifflin County, Pennsylvania
Builder: Permanente Metals Corp.
Laid down: 15 May 1944
Launched: 7 August 1944
Commissioned: 11 October 1944
Struck: 1 October 1958
General characteristics
Class & type: Haskell-class attack transport
Displacement: 14,837 tons
Length: 455 ft (139 m)
Beam: 62 ft (19 m)
Draft: 24 ft (7.3 m)
Propulsion: Westinghouse geared turbine drive
2 Combustion Engineering header-type boilers
Shaft horsepower 8,500
Speed: 19 knots
Complement: Officer: 56
Enlisted: 480
Armament: 1 5"/38
1 40mm quad mount
4 40mm twin mounts
10 20mm single mounts

USS Mifflin (APA-207) was a Haskell-class attack transport of the US Navy. She was named after Mifflin County, Pennsylvania.

Construction

Mifflin (APA-207) was laid down 15 May 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp. Shipyard No. 2, Richmond, California; launched 7 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Alma De Brettville Sprecies; accepted by the Navy on a loan basis; and commissioned 11 October 1944, Comdr. L. J. Modave in command.

World War II

After shakedown, Mifflin embarked 1,100 troops and sailed to Pearl Harbor. Exchanging her initial passengers for 4th Division Marines, she continued amphibious exercises off Maui, until ordered to Saipan 27 January 1945. On 19 February, her boats landed 4th Marines on the shore of Iwo Jima. She remained almost a week to offload priority, then request cargo, and to take on board battle casualties. This included her own, for the ship's beach party was hard hit the first day suffering 14 wounded and three missing.

Mifflin also sustained a shell hit on her 40mm gun director before retiring with the wounded to Saipan on the 28th.

Having replaced lost equipment and boats, she sailed 16 March to nearby Tinian to practice for the invasion of Okinawa. In position for this last great assault, on 1 and 2 April her boats feinted a landing of 2d Division Marines on the southeastern shore to lessen opposition to the main effort on the western beaches. Again returning her Marines to Saipan, she remained until early June. Steaming to the New Hebrides, Mifflin loaded stores which she discharged 30 June at Guam. Independence Day, she weighed anchor for San Francisco with a small passenger list and a need for repairs.

Two months later, when she returned to the western Pacific to disembark 1,600 Army replacement troops at Manila, Philippines, the war had ceased. Mifflin reloaded with men of the 33d Infantry Division assigned to occupation duty and arrived Wakayama, Japan, 25 September. The next month, over 1,000 troops of the 24th Infantry Division were transported from Mindanao, Philippines, to Okajama, Japan. Sailing to Okinawa 30 October, she engaged in "Magic Carpet" duty from November to March 1946, returning additional thousands of veterans to San Francisco. Inactivation soon began with Mifflin placed out of service in reserve 5 July 1946, assigned to the 19th Fleet, Stockton, California. Struck from the Naval Register 1 October 1958, she was returned to the Maritime Commission the same date. Assigned to the National Defense Reserve Fleet, she was berthed as Suisun Bay, California, into 1969.

Awards

Mifflin received two battle stars for World War II service.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.