USS Pinola (ATA-206)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Pinola.

Ex-Pinola in South Korean Naval service as ROKS Do Bong (ATA-3) moored pierside, date and location unknown.
Career (USA)
Builder: Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, TX
Reclassified: Auxiliary Fleet Tug ATA-206, 15 May 1944
Laid down: 26 October 1944
Launched: 14 December 1944
Commissioned: USS ATA-206, 10 February 1945
Decommissioned: 4 October 1946
Renamed: Pinola (ATA-206), 16 June 1948
Recommissioned: 10 January 1949
Decommissioned: 6 April 1956
Fate: Transferred under the Military Assistance Program to South Korea, 2 February 1962
Career (ROK)
Name: ROKS Do Bong (ATA-3)
Acquired: 2 February 1962
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 534 t.(Long tons)
835 t. Full load
Length: 143 ft (44 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 13 ft (4.0 m)
Propulsion: diesel-electric engines, single screw
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 45
Armament: 1 × single 3"/50 caliber gun mount
2 × twin 40mm AA gun mounts

The USS Pinola (ATA-206) was a Sotoyomo-class auxiliary fleet tug launched in 1945 and serving until 1956. The ship was transferred to the Republic of Korea in 1962.

Construction

The ship was planned and authorized as Rescue Ocean Tug ATR-133 but redesignated "Auxiliary Fleet Tug ATA-206" on 15 May 1944.[1] The hull was laid down by the Gulfport Shipbuilding Corp., Port Arthur, Texas 26 October 1944; launched 14 December 1944; and commissioned as ATA-206 10 February 1945, Lt. (jg) N. G. Neault in command.

Service as ATA-206

ATA-206 completed shakedown 10 March 1945, then steamed to Gulfport, Mississippi to pick up YF-754 for towing to San Diego. Thence she proceeded to Hawaii and departed Pearl Harbor 11 May towing AED-21 to Guam. She sailed from Apra Harbor 5 July to operate from Chimu Wan Harbor, Okinawa, where she arrived with a dump scow and another barge in tow the 15th. Towing and salvage operations in the vicinity of Buckner Bay kept her busy for the remainder of the war. On 22 July she salvaged an Army dredge off a coral reef in Buckner Bay and later refloated a gasoline tanker aground on a coral reef in Chimu Wan Harbor.

She sailed for Subic Bay in the Philippines 30 January 1946, and picked up a lend-lease dredge for towing to Melbourne, Australia. On 20 February, while being towed, that dredge sank of an unknown cause and the tug returned to San Pedro Bay in Leyte Gulf. Here she took YD-121 in tow for a long voyage past the Marianas and Marshall Islands to Pearl Harbor.

Recomissioned as Pianola

She returned to San Diego and decommissioned 4 October 1946. She was named Pinola 16 June 1948.

Pinola recommissioned 10 January 1949 and was assigned to Service Squadron 1, U.S. Pacific Fleet, to serve primarily towing target sleds for surface gunnery exercises for the Fleet Training Group based at San Diego, Calif. This service was interrupted by a cruise to Sasebo, Japan for operations in Service Squadron 3, 2 August 1954 – 27 March 1955.

Transfer to Korea

The Pinola was decommissioned on 6 April 1956 and was transferred to the Republic of Korea on 2 February 1962 under the Military Assistance Program, and served into the 1970s as ROKS Do Bong (ATA-3).

References

External links

This article incorporates text from the here.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.