USS Pontotoc (AG-94)

Career (USA)
Name: USS Pontotoc
Namesake: Named for counties in Mississippi and Oklahoma
Builder: Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Company, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Laid down: 15 January 1944 as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, (MC hull 2160)
Launched: 2 July 1944
Commissioned: 22 March 1945 as USS Pontotoc (AG-94)
Decommissioned: 26 April 1946
Reclassified: AG-94, date unknown; AVS-7, 25 May 1945
Struck: 8 May 1946
Fate: sold in 1947, renamed MV Taurus, later MV Tadjera
Notes: ultimate fate unknown
General characteristics
Type: Alamosa-class cargo ship
Displacement: 2,382 tons
Tons burthen: 7,435 tons
Length: 388' 8"
Beam: 50'
Draft: 21' 1"
Propulsion: Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp
Speed: 11.5 knots
Complement: 85 officers and enlisted
Armament: one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20mm guns

USS Pontotoc (AK-206/AG-94/AVS-7) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship acquired by the U.S. Navy shortly before the end of World War II. She was configured to carry aviation parts and spares, and to issue them to the U.S. Pacific Fleet and activities as needed.

Constructed at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin

Pontotoc (AVS–7), an aviation supply ship, was laid down as M. C. Hull 2160 by Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. 15 January 1944; classified AK-206 on 25 February 1944; launched 2 July 1944; acquired from the U.S. Maritime Commission on a loan-charter basis 28 February 1945; reclassified AG–94 on 12 March 1945; and commissioned 22 March 1945, Lt. Comdr. C. W. Lockard in command.

World War II-related service

After shakedown, Pontotoc transited the Panama Canal and arrived Pearl Harbor 18 April 1945. Reclassified as AVS-7 effective 25 May, Pontotoc steamed for the Philippine Islands, reporting for duty 8 July at Guiuan, Samar, Philippine Islands. She provided aviation stores on station in the Philippines through the end of hostilities.

Post-war inactivation

Pontotoc then proceeded to the 12th Naval District. She decommissioned and was delivered to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) 26 April at San Francisco, California. Struck from the Navy List 8 May 1946, she was sold in 1947 to the French firm Messageries Maritimes, and renamed MV Taurus. In 1960 she was sold again and renamed MV Tadjera. Her ultimate fate is unknown.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-206 / AG-94 / AVS-7 Pontotoc


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.