World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

USS Protector (AGR-11)

History
Union Navy Jack United States
Name: USS Protector
Namesake: A guard or guardian
Ordered: as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 2346
Builder: J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida
Laid down: 31 January 1945, as Liberty ship SS Warren P. Marks
Launched: 15 March 1945
Sponsored by: Mrs. E. M. Hinson
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy in 1957
Commissioned: 20 February 1957 as USS Protector (YAGR-11)
Decommissioned: 28 July 1965, at Bayonne, New Jersey
Reclassified: AGR-11, 28 October 1958
Refit: converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina
Struck: date unknown
Homeport: Newport, Rhode Island
Honours and
awards:
Navy Expeditionary Medal (2-Cuba)
Fate: scrapped, 30 November 2005
General characteristics
Type: Guardian-class radar picket ship
Tons burthen: 11,365 tons
Length: 441'
Beam: 59'
Draft: 22'
Installed power: two electric generators
Propulsion: Two 220 PSI boilers; Filer & Stowell Co., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, three cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; Single 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower, 2,500
Speed:
Capacity: Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water
Complement: 13 officers, 138 enlisted
Armament: two 3"/50 guns

USS Protector (AGR-11/YAGR-11) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1957 from the “mothballed” reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Atlantic Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.

Contents

  • Liberty ship built in Florida 1
  • Conversion to radar picket 2
  • Radar picket duty 3
  • Decommissioning 4
  • Honors and awards 5
  • See also 6
  • References 7

Liberty ship built in Florida

The third ship to be so named by the Navy, Protector (YAGR–11) wag laid down by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Wainwright Yards, Panama City, Florida, as Liberty ship SS Warren P. Marks (MCE hull 2346) 31 January 1945 ; launched 15 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. E. M. Hinson; and placed in service 29 March 1945.

Conversion to radar picket

Operated by the Shepard Steamship Co. from 1945 to 1957, Warren P. Marks was converted at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, and commissioned Protector (YAGR–11) 20 February 1957, Lt. Comdr. Glen G. Heller in command.

Radar picket duty

After shakedown off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Protector, homeported at Newport, Rhode Island, reported to Commandant, 1st Naval District for administrative control and to Commander YAGR Division 21 for duty and was assigned as an Ocean Station Radar Picket Ship in the seaward extension of the Eastern Continental Air Defense Command Contiguous Radar Coverage System.

Continuing her duties off the U.S. East Coast, Protector was redesignated an AGR on 28 October 1958. She continued her radar picket duty until 1965. During the Cuban invasion in the spring of 1962 and the Cuban Missile Crisis in the fall, Protector operated in the Florida Straits and established a new radar picket station.

On 10 February 1965, Protector terminated picket duty as the last picket ship to man Radar Picket Station No. 15 of NORAD Contiguous Radar Coverage System.

Decommissioning

On 28 July 1965 she decommissioned at Bayonne, New Jersey, and was placed in the U.S. Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet, Hudson River, New York, as an Emergency Relocation Center Ship, where she remained until she was towed to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard where her engine was removed. She was then placed for sale as scrap, with scrapping completed 30 November 2005.

Honors and awards

Protector personnel qualified for the following medals:

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.