World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

USS Scanner (AGR-5)

History
Union Navy Jack United States
Name: USS Scanner
Namesake: One who examines and searches an area by regular sweeps
Ordered: as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 2344
Builder: J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida
Laid down: 24 January 1945, as Liberty ship SS Edwin D. Howard
Launched: 27 February 1945
Sponsored by: Mrs. John E. Davidson
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy, 10 June 1955
Commissioned: 30 January 1956 as USS Scanner (YAGR-5) at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Virginia
Decommissioned: 21 July 1965
Renamed: Scanner, 1955
Reclassified: AGR-5, 28 September 1958
Refit: converted to a radar picket ship at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Virginia
Struck: 1 September 1965
Homeport: San Francisco, California
Honors and
awards:
National Defense Service Medal
Fate: sold, 3 October 1974, fate unknown
General characteristics
Type: Guardian-class radar picket ship
Tons burthen:
Length:
Beam:
Draft:
Installed power: two Electric Generators
Propulsion: two 220 PSI boilers; one 3 cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; one 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower 2,500
Speed:
Capacity:
  • Fuel Oil, ;
  • Diesel, ;
  • Fresh Water, ;
  • Ballast,
Complement: 13 officers, 138 enlisted
Armament: two 3"/50 guns

USS Scanner (AGR-5/YAGR-5) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1955 from the "mothballed" reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Pacific Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.

Contents

  • A Liberty ship built in Florida 1
  • Radar picket duty 2
  • Decommissioning 3
  • See also 4
  • References 5

A Liberty ship built in Florida

Scanner (YAGR-5) was laid down on 24 January 1945 by the J. A. Jones Construction Co., Panama City, Florida, as Liberty ship Edwin D. Howard. She was launched on 27 February 1945, sponsored by Mrs. John E. Davidson, and delivered on 14 March 1945 to the Alcoa Steamship Company. She was acquired by the Navy from the U.S. Maritime Administration on 10 June 1955, renamed Scanner, converted to a radar picket ship at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, and commissioned on 30 January 1956 with Lt. Comdr. H. H. Pruett in command.

Radar picket duty

Scanner departed Norfolk, Virginia, on 28 March 1956 for her home port, San Francisco, California, and commenced her first patrol in the Pacific Ocean in July 1956 with the seaward extension of America's early warning defense system.

Fitted with sophisticated electronic search and tracking equipment, Scanner could detect, track, and report enemy aircraft at great distances, and control high speed interceptor aircraft in event of attack. She also carried out weather reporting duties during her three to four-week-long cruises.

Decommissioning

Scanner was redesignated AGR-5 effective 28 September 1958. She was decommissioned on 21 July 1965 at San Francisco and turned over to Maritime Administration Fleet custody on 26 July at Suisun Bay, California. Struck from the Navy List on 1 September 1965, she was transferred permanently to the Maritime Administration on 4 February 1966 and remained in the Suisun Bay reserve fleet until 3 October 1974 when she was sold for non-transport use.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.