World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Sciota (ATA-205)

Article Id: WHEBN0026853866
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Sciota (ATA-205)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sciota
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Sciota (ATA-205)

Career (USA)
Name: USS Sciota (ATA-205)
Builder: Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, TX
Laid down: 12 October 1944
Launched: 26 November 1944
Commissioned: USS ATR-132, 30 January 1945
Decommissioned: 1945
Renamed: Sciota (ATA-205), 16 June 1948
Reclassified: Auxiliary Fleet Tug (ATA-205),15 May 1944
Struck: 1 September 1962
Fate: Temporary custody to the Maritime Administration (MARAD) for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia WA., 9 November 1960
Permanent custody returned to the US Navy, 14 August 1978
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 534 t.Long tons 835 t. Full load
Length: 143 ft (44 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 13 ft (4.0 m)
Propulsion: diesel-electric engines, single screw
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 45
Armament: 1 x single 3"/50 caliber gun mount
2 x single 20mm AA gun mounts
For other ships of the same name, see USS Sciota.

ATR-132 was laid down on 12 October 1944 at the Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, Texas; launched on 26 November 1944; and commissioned on 30 January 1945.

In 1945, ATR-132 was redesignated as Ocean tug, auxiliary, ATA-205. She was placed in reserve, out of commission, and assigned to the United States Pacific Reserve Fleet and berthed on the Columbia River in January 1947. ATA-205 was named Sciota on 16 July 1948. In November 1960, Sciota was transferred to the Maritime Administration for custody, but the Navy retained ownership. Sciota's name was struck from the Navy list on 1 September 1962.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • Online: Service Ship Photo Archive USS Sciota (ATA-205)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.