World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Shaw (DD-68)

Article Id: WHEBN0000291934
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Shaw (DD-68)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of destroyers of the United States Navy, SS El Occidente, Mare Island Naval Shipyard
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

USS Shaw (DD-68)

USS Shaw (DD-68)
United States
Name: USS Shaw (DD-68)
Namesake: Named after navy Captain John Shaw.
Laid down: 7 February 1916
Launched: 9 December 1916
Commissioned: 9 April 1917
Decommissioned: 21 June 1922
Struck: 5 July 1934
Fate: Transferred to Coast Guard 25 March 1926. Transferred back to USN 30 June 1933 and sold for scrapping 22 August 1934.
USCG ShieldUnited States Coast Guard
Commissioned: 13 July 1926
Decommissioned: 5 June 1933
Fate: Transferred back to USN 30 June 1933.
Notes: USCG number (CG-22)
General characteristics
Class & type: Sampson-class destroyer
Displacement: 1,111 tons (normal), 1,225 tons (full load)
Length: 315 ft 3 in (96.1 m)
Beam: 30 ft 7 in (9.3 m)
Draft: 10 ft 9 in (3.3 m)
  • 4 Boilers
  • 2 Curtis Turbines: 17,696 horsepower
Speed: 29.5 knots (55 km/h)
Complement: 99 officers and crew

USS Shaw (DD-68) was a Sampson-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War I. She was later transferred to the United States Coast Guard as CG-22.

Shaw was laid down on 7 February 1916 by the Mare Island Navy Yard, launched on 9 December 1916, sponsored by Mrs. Virginia Kemper Lynch Millard, and commissioned on 9 April 1917, Lieutenant Commander Milton S. Davis in command.

Service history

World War I

Shaw sailed from Mare Island on 25 May 1917 and arrived at New York on 10 June 1917 ready for distant service. She sailed a week later as one of the escort of Group 4 of the Expeditionary Force from the United States to France. On 26 June, she fueled at sea from a tanker, and the convoy arrived at Quiberon Bay, France, on 1 July. On the 4th, she sailed from St. Nazaire and arrived at Cobh, Ireland, the next day. On 10 July, she began patrol and convoy escort duty based on Cobh, convoying eastbound and westbound ships through the submarine danger zone around Great Britain and Ireland, for the most part without incident. On 1 July 1918, she received an SOS from the torpedoed American transport, Covington, and rushed to her aid. On arrival, she found that Covington‍ '​s survivors had been removed and the ship had been taken undertow. But, the crippled transport sank later in the day. On 25 September, a ship in Shaw‍ '​s convoy was attacked by a submarine but not damaged.

On 9 October 1918, while escorting Aquitania, Shaw‍ '​s rudder jammed just as she was completing the right leg of a zigzag, leaving her headed directly towards the transport. A moment later, Aquitania struck Shaw, cutting off 90 feet of the destroyer's bow, mangling her bridge and setting her on fire. Shaw‍ '​s crew heroically brought her damage under control, and a skeleton crew of 21 men took the wreck 40 miles into port under her own power. 12 men died in the accident.

Shaw remained under repair at Portsmouth, England, until 29 May 1919 when she sailed for the United States. She arrived at New York on 17 June 1919 and moved to the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 2 October where she joined the reserve destroyer group and was decommissioned on 21 June 1922.

United States Coast Guard

Shaw was struck from the Navy list on 25 March 1926 and transferred to the Coast Guard the same day, to serve in the Rum Patrol. She was returned to the Navy by the Coast Guard and reinstated on the Navy list effective 30 June 1933.

Her name was canceled on 1 November 1933 for assignment to a new destroyer, and the ship was struck again on 5 July 1934 and sold on 22 August 1934 for scrapping to Michael Plynn, Inc., Brooklyn, New York.

See also


This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.

External links

  • Tin Can USS Shaw DD-68
  • Navy
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.