World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Valmiera

Valmiera
City
Town centre with St. Simon's Church behind
Town centre with St. Simon's Church behind
Flag of Valmiera
Flag
Coat of arms of Valmiera
Coat of arms
Valmiera is located in Latvia
Valmiera
Valmiera
Location in Latvia
Coordinates:
Country  Latvia
Town rights 1323
Government
 • Mayor Jānis Baiks
Area
 • Total 18.18 km2 (7.02 sq mi)
Population
 • Total 27,569
 • Density 1,516/km2 (3,930/sq mi)
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal code LV-4201 LV-4202 LV-4204
Calling code +371 642
Number of city council members 13

Valmiera (   ; German: Wolmar) is the largest city of the historical Vidzeme region, Latvia, with a total area of 18.1 square kilometres (7 square miles). It is the center of the Valmiera District. As of 2002, Valmiera had a population of 27,323, and in 2008 – 27,569.

It lies at the crossroads of several important roads, 100 kilometres (62 miles) to the north-east from Riga, the capital of Latvia, and 50 km (31 mi) south of the border with Estonia. Valmiera lies on both banks of the Gauja River.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Today 2
  • International relations 3
    • Twin towns — sister cities 3.1
  • References 4

History

Valmiera and its surroundings have been one of the longest-inhabited regions of Latvia. Archeological evidence indicates the site was inhabited 9,000 years ago. Valmiera was first mentioned as a town in a chronicle dating back to 1323. The actual founding of the town probably occurred at least 40 years earlier when the master of the Livonian Order Wilken von Endorp constructed a castle (Wolmar) and Catholic church on the banks of the river Gauja. Valmiera was a member of the Hanseatic League from the 14th–16th centuries. Involvement in the Hansa brought significant trade and movement into the town’s life.

During the Great Northern War Valmiera was destroyed and burned down in 1702. Valmiera largely followed the history of northern Livonia.

During World War II, Valmiera was captured by troops of the German Army Group North on 4 July 1941 and placed under the administration of Reichskommissariat Ostland. The city was recaptured on 24 September 1944 by troops of the 3rd Baltic Front of the Red Army during the Riga Offensive. During war almost all buildings at the center of Valmiera was destroyed.

The Cold War Liepas air base was located nearby.

Version 2.2 of the open source mapping application QGIS was named in honor of Valmiera.[1]

Today

Valmiera is the de facto cultural and administrative centre of Vidzeme. It is the only town in the region to have a professional theater, Valmieras teātris, which was established in 1919. In 1996, Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences (Vidzemes Augstskola), was established.

Valmiera's municipality has been involved a variety of projects to improve the quality of life in the region. One of the largest projects is creating a garbage control system in northern Vidzeme. A project for water supply development and the restoration of sewage systems is being realised to promote the modernisation of the economic system in Vidzeme. The improvement of the payment system, the construction of a thermoelectric station, and the building of a sports hall for the Olympic Centre are also being planned.

Valmiera is an important industrial centre. The dominating economic branches in Valmiera are the food industry (milk, meat, and grain), fibreglass production, metalworking, wood processing and furniture producing.

International relations

Twin towns — sister cities

Valmiera is twinned with:

References

  1. ^
  2. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.