World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Villanueva del Arzobispo

Article Id: WHEBN0013122378
Reproduction Date:

Title: Villanueva del Arzobispo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of municipalities in Jaén
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Villanueva del Arzobispo

Villanueva del Arzobispo
Municipality

Iglesia de San Andrés in the town.

Coat of arms

Location in Andalusia

Villanueva del Arzobispo
Villanueva del Arzobispo
Location in Spain

Coordinates: 38°10′0″N 3°0′0″W / 38.16667°N 3.00000°W / 38.16667; -3.00000

Country  Spain
Autonomous community  Andalusia
Province Comarca Las Villas
Municipality Villanueva del Arzobispo
Area
 • Total 177 km2 (68 sq mi)
Elevation 688 m (2,257 ft)
Population (2011)
 • Total 8,924
 • Density 49.4/km2 (128/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Website Villanueva del Arzobispo - Inicio

Villanueva del Arzobispo is a city located in the province of Jaén, Spain. According to the 2011 census (INE), the city has a population of 8,924.

History

The town was first mentioned in the year 1396 owing to a petition made by Pedro Tenorio, archbishop of Toledo, to King Henry III of Castile. Hence the town's name, which means New Town of the Archbishop in Spanish. Before this date, the town was called La Moraleja, adjacent to Iznatoraf and towards the beginning of the 13th century formed part of the conquered territory of Cazorla.

There exist basic forms of the ancient name of the locality, which before being called La Moraleja was called in Arabic Al-Buxarressa, from which La Moraleja derives.

The urban nucleus of Villanueva del Arzobispo is situated next to the mountain of Albercones, to the west, at a crossroads. It presents a mixed picture, with some ancient districts made up of irregular roads and blocks of houses, and others with blocks more or less in a regular pattern which conforms to the more modern extended area. In the ancient quarter, situated in the west part of the centre, there are various roads with steep inclinations. The towns development basically radiated from the centre to the north-east and south-east, following the line marked by the highway 322 and by the way to the park. To the west the presence of the arroyo of the Pozo has prevented further urban expansion.

King Philip II imposed criminal jurisdiction on the town in 1573. However, in the 20th century, the town was given the title of city by King Alfonso XIII in 1920.

Notable buildings

With a distinctive artistic history various buildings, places of great ecological importance and enclaves with a rich heritage include:

  • Iglesia parroquial de San Andrés (Parochial church of Saint Andrew), built on the ruins of a former mosque in the 16th century.
  • Santuario de la Virgen de la Fuensanta (Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Holy Springs) which receives the patronage of the Four Towns (Villanueva del Arzobispo itself, along with Iznatoraf, Villacarrillo and Sorihuela del Guadalimar).
  • Iglesia de la Vera Cruz (Church of the True Cross), in which is a statue of Jesus by the sculptor Mariano Benlliure.
  • Convento de Santa Ana (Convent of Saint Anne), a baroque construction with a Renaissance cloister of the 16th century.
  • Plaza de Toros (Bullring), built in 1928 in neo-Moorish style.
  • Casa de los Arcos (House of the Arches), early 20th century building with Moorish-style interior.
  • Ermitas del Calvario (Hermitage of Calvary), founded by Saint John of the Cross in 1576.

Economy

Agriculture is dominated by the olive. Currently, four grades are used in the work in making the olives into olive oil.

The quality of the waters of the Sierra de Cazorla is considered sufficient for the installation of a mineral water bottling industry.

Other important industries include San Miguel Arcángel and the biomass plant La Loma (generation of energy from olive skins and other olive products).

The cultivation of cereals is very small, and is substituted by the olive.

Coordinates: 38°10′N 3°0′W / 38.167°N 3.000°W / 38.167; -3.000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.