World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Volos Army Airport

 

Volos Army Airport

Volos/Nea Ionia Airport
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Βόλου/Νέας Ιωνίας
ICAO: LGVO
Summary
Airport type Defunct/Demolished
Operator Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority
Location Volos
Elevation AMSL 38 m / 125 ft
Coordinates
Runways
Direction Length Surface
m ft
14/32 1,200 3,947 Asphalt
(There is nothing left of the airport)

Volos/Nea Ionia Airport (ICAO: LGVO) was a joint public and military airport, situated at Nea Ionia, Volos. It was established in 1948 with a runway of 970m./3,190 ft. In 1954 the runway length was reduced to 650m./2,138 ft. and at that time the airport was exclusively used by the Hellenic Army. The airport finally closed in 1981, its infrastructure abandoned and left to decay. The runway was located where the new Volos Ring Road is situated today.

The airport was replaced by Nea Anchialos National Airport, which began operations in 1991 and sought to cover the needs of the area of Central Greece, filling in the gap of the old defunct Volos Airport.

Former Airlines and destinations

References

External links

  • Volos Army Airport
  • LGVO
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.