World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum

Article Id: WHEBN0022054388
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: WikiProject Aviation/Maintenance/Cleanup listing, Military and war museums in Pennsylvania, Pitcairn Aircraft Company, Kaman SH-2 Seasprite, National Museum of the United States Air Force
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum

The Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum is owned and operated by the Delaware Valley Historical Aircraft Association (DVHAA). The DVHAA is a non-profit, 501(c)3, all volunteer organization. The Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum is dedicated to preserving the aviation history of the Greater Delaware Valley, including the contributions of Harold F. Pitcairn and the men and women who served at NAS Willow Grove.

While the name 'Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum' has a relatively short history, the displaying of aircraft at Willow Grove began shortly after World War II. In May 1946, LCdr. David Ascher arrived at NAS Willow Grove as the station’s first Aircraft Maintenance Officer. A few months later, a local high school acquired a P-40E “Kittyhawk” from the Army Air Force but, after deciding not to keep it, the school turned it over to the Navy. Ascher led the movement to modify the aircraft and change the markings to those of a “Flying Tiger,” thus making the P-40E the first aircraft displayed at Willow Grove. LCdr Ascher remained at NAS Willow Grove until 1952 when he was transferred to the Naval Reserve Air Station at Niagara Falls Airport, NY. Ascher died in 2006 at the age of 94 but his acquisition and preserving of several aircraft began Willow Grove’s long history of displaying military aircraft for the public to view.

In May 2002, the DVHAA broke ground along Route 611 for the building that now holds the museum's artifact collection. By August 2003, the building that became the Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum was ready to hold and display artifacts. For the first few months, there was no heat or power so it was not until Spring 2004 that the doors of the museum officially opened to the public.

[1]

References

  1. ^ Letter written to DVHAA on June 26, 1987 by Retired Navy Lt.Cmdr. David Ascher, who was NAS Willow Grove's Aircraft Division Maintenance officer during the 1946 - 1951 time frame.


External links

  • Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.