World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

130th Airlift Squadron

130th Airlift Squadron
C-130H Hercules (s/n 88-1307) from the 130th Airlift Squadron, 130th Airlift Group, West Virginia Air National Guard flies over the United Arab Emirates during a troop-carrying mission in support of operation Desert Storm, 1991.
Active 1 October 1955-Present
Country  United States
Allegiance  West Virginia
Branch   Air National Guard
Type Squadron
Role Airlift
Part of West Virginia Air National Guard
Garrison/HQ Charleston Air National Guard Base, Charleston, West Virginia
Patron "Mountaineers In Green"
Tail Code Blue tail stripe, "Charlie West" in yellow letters with state map
Insignia
130th Airlift Squadron

The 130th Airlift Squadron (130 AS) is a unit of the West Virginia Air National Guard 130th Airlift Wing located at Charleston Air National Guard Base, Charleston, West Virginia. 130th is equipped with the C-130H Hercules.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Lineage 1.1
    • Assignments 1.2
    • Stations 1.3
    • Aircraft 1.4
  • References 2
  • External links 3

History

The Kanawha Airport, Charleston and was extended federal recognition. The squadron was assigned to Tactical Air Command, which placed it under its Eighteenth Air Force. It was equipped with Grumman HU-16 Albatross amphibians and C-46 Commando troop transports. The mission of the 130th TCS was primarily Air Commando special operations missions.

On 1 July 1960 the 130th was authorized to expand to a group level, and the 130th Air Commando Group was established by the National Guard Bureau. The 130th was re-designated as an Air Commando squadron and became the group's flying squadron. Other squadrons assigned into the group were the group headquarters, 130th Material Squadron (Maintenance), 130th Combat Support Squadron, and the 130th USAF Dispensary. Aircraft assigned to the new group were upgraded to C-119 Flying Boxcars and U-10D Super Courier combat observation aircraft.

Continuing its mission and training with the active duty Air Force Outstanding Unit Award five times.

In 1975 the Flying Boxcars were retired, the 130th received the far more capable Military Airlift Command with the primary mission of the Group becoming tactical airlift, with the Special Operations mission becoming secondary with the end of the Vietnam War.

A model upgrade to the C-130H in 1986 was completed and in August and September 1990, the 130th TAG commanded a "volunteer" package of 16 C-130s and support personnel from WV, TN, TX, MO and DE ANG units in support of Operation Desert Shield. October 1990 saw the Presidential Call of selected members from the 130th Tactical Airlift Squadron combining with the 181st Tactical Airlift Squadron, TX ANG to form the functional staff of the 1630th Tactical Airlift Squadron (Provisional) at Al Ain International Airport, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates. In December 1990, the 130th Tactical Clinic and the 130th Mobile Aerial Port Squadron had selective members activated. They deployed to RAF Bicester, UK and Dover AFB, Delaware respectively, subsequent to Operation Desert Storm. All members were released from active duty by June 1991. The members of the group located in the United Arab Emirates received the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor.

In April 1992, some unit members and aircraft deployed to Rhein-Main AB, Germany in support of the Bosnian Airlift called "Operation Provide Promise." The 130th has deployed several times since this date for "Provide Promise," the latest being from 21 September 1998 to 29 October 1998. In August 1993, one aircraft and 2 crews were sent to Operation "Operation Support Hope" for 30 days in Rwanda, Africa.

Organizationally, the 130th was expanded to a wing in 1995. From January to March 1996, the unit deployed two aircraft, six crews and maintenance support to Daharan, Saudi Arabia, in support of Operation Southern Watch.

As of mid-2000, the 130th AW had recently sent several aircraft and support personnel to Panama for Coronet Oak. While there, wing personnel were heavily involved in Hurricane Mitch relief to Honduras and Nicaragua.

Lineage

Legacy 130th Air Commando Squadron emblem
  • Designated 130th Troop Carrier Squadron, and allotted to West Virginia ANG, 1955
Extended federal recognition on 1 October 1955
Re-designated: 130th Air Commando Squadron, 1 July 1960
Re-designated: 130th Special Operations Squadron, 1 July 1968
Re-designated: 130th Tactical Airlift Squadron, 1 July 1975
Re-designated: 130th Airlift Squadron, 16 March 1992

Assignments

Gained by: Eighteenth Air Force, Tactical Air Command
Elements attached to: 1630th Tactical Airlift Squadron (Provisional), October 1990-June 1991

Stations

Elements operated from: Al Ain International Airport, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, October 1990-June 1991
Designated: Charleston Air National Guard Base, 1991-Present

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • 130th Airlift Wing website history
  • 130th Airlift Wing@globalsecurity.org
  • Rogers, B. (2006). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. ISBN 1-85780-197-0

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.