World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

13 (BMT rapid transit service)

Article Id: WHEBN0001537964
Reproduction Date:

Title: 13 (BMT rapid transit service)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: New York City Subway, 6 (New York City Subway service), Defunct New York City Subway services, 13 (disambiguation), Hotel St. George
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

13 (BMT rapid transit service)


13

FULTON ST

13

14TH STREET
R1 end rollsigns

13 was the BMT's designation for service on the BMT Fulton Street Line (not to be confused with today's IND Fulton Street Line, which uses a portion of the old BMT line at its east end).

When the BMT assigned numbers in 1924, 13 was assigned to trains between Park Row in Manhattan and Lefferts Avenue – 119th Street, via the Brooklyn Bridge and BMT Fulton Street Line. Service patterns were rather complicated, with the following services running:

Morning rush hours:
Afternoon rush hours:
  • Trains from Park Row to Lefferts Avenue ran express from Sands Street (on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge) to Lafayette Avenue and Grand Avenue to Atlantic Avenue.
  • Trains from Park Row to Grant Avenue ran express from Sands Street to Boerum Place and Flatbush Avenue to Franklin Avenue.
  • Trains from Fulton Ferry ran local.
  • Extra trains ran from Franklin Avenue to Lefferts Avenue, express to Atlantic Avenue.
The service advisory discontinuing 13 service west of Rockaway Avenue in 1940

By 1925, local morning trains were added from Grant Avenue to Fulton Ferry or Park Row. Between 1925 and 1931, afternoon rush hour service was changed to the following:

  • Express trains from Park Row to Lefferts Avenue ran express from Sands Street to Atlantic Avenue; local trains made all stops.
  • Trains from Fulton Ferry ran local.
  • Extra trains ran from Sands Street to Lefferts Avenue, running express from Franklin Avenue to Atlantic Avenue.

Between 1931 and 1937, local morning trains were shifted from beginning at Atlantic and Grant Avenues to beginning at Grant and Lefferts Avenues. Afternoon service became the following:

  • Some express trains from Park Row to Lefferts Avenue ran express from Sands Street to Franklin Avenue; others from Franklin Avenue to Atlantic Avenue.
  • Local trains from Park Row ended at Grant Avenue or Lefferts Avenue.
  • Trains from Fulton Ferry ran local.
  • Extra trains ran from Sands Street to Lefferts Avenue, running express from Franklin Avenue to Atlantic Avenue.

Extra service during all rush hours and Saturday mornings ran only from Lefferts Avenue to Atlantic Avenue.

Also at this time, special 14th Street-Fulton Street rush hour and Saturday morning trains were added between Lefferts Avenue and Eighth Avenue on the BMT 14th Street-Canarsie Line, switching lines at Atlantic Avenue.

Between 1937 and 1939, local morning trains were truncated at Sands Street (with some still going to Fulton Ferry).

The BMT Fulton Street Line was closed west of Rockaway Avenue on May 31, 1940, with free transfers to the IND Fulton Street Line. Service from then on was limited to trains running the remaining length, as well as 14th Street-Fulton Street trains and the new Fulton-Lexington Avenue service (provided by 12 trains).

On April 26, 1956, the BMT Fulton Street Line was abandoned west of Hudson Street; the rest became part of the IND Fulton Street Line on April 29.

References

  • NYCsubway.org - Historical Maps
  • BMT-Lines.com - Service/Maps
  • B.M.T. 'El' Lines to Shift Service; City to Close 2 Sections This Week, New York Times May 27, 1940, page 19
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.