World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

221st Combat Communications Squadron

221st Combat Communications Squadron
221st Combat Communications Squadron emblem
Active 1952 – present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Combat Communications
Role Combat Support
Size 105 personnel
Part of Air National Guard
Garrison/HQ Hensley Field, Texas

The United States Air Force's 221st Combat Communications Squadron (221 CBCS) is an Air National Guard combat communications unit located at Hensley Field, Grand Prairie, Texas.

Contents

  • Mission 1
  • History 2
  • Assignments 3
    • Major Command/Gaining Command 3.1
  • Previous designations 4
  • Bases stationed 5
  • Equipment Operated 6

Mission

Deploy, operate, and sustain command, control, communications and computer systems (C4) and support capabilities for Air Force and joint military operations under bare-base conditions. Promote public safety for the citizens of the State of Texas and to respond to state and local emergencies.

History

The 221st Combat Communications Squadron was originally organized as the 221st Radio Relay Squadron in July 1952. Its operational headquarters was the 251st Group at Springfield, Ohio, and the 136th Airlift Wing at Hensley Field supported it. Command of the unit was transferred to the 252d Group at Spokane, Washington in January 1963. In March 1968, the unit was re-designated the 221st Mobile Communications Squadron to more accurately reflect its mission. In June 1971 the 254th Mobile Communications Group was created at the 221st's station and became the its operational headquarters.

Assignments

Major Command/Gaining Command

Previous designations

  • 221st Mobile Communications Squadron (January 1963 – )
  • 221st Radio Relay Squadron (July 1952 – January 1963)

Bases stationed

  • Hensley Field, Texas (2010–present)
  • Garland, Texas (1952–2010)

Equipment Operated

  • (???-Present)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.