World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

23rd Street Grounds

Article Id: WHEBN0001288810
Reproduction Date:

Title: 23rd Street Grounds  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chicago Cubs, 1876 in baseball, History of the Chicago Cubs, Defunct Major League Baseball venues, 1877 disestablishments in Illinois
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

23rd Street Grounds

23rd Street Grounds
State Street Grounds
Location Chicago, Illinois
Coordinates
Opened 1872
Closed 1877
Tenants
Chicago White Stockings

23rd Street Grounds, also known as State Street Grounds and 23rd Street Park, and sometimes spelled out as Twenty-third Street Grounds, was a ballpark in Chicago, Illinois. In it, the Chicago White Stockings played baseball from 1874 to 1877, the first two years in the National Association and the latter two in the National League.

23rd Street first hosted baseball in 1872-1873, rented out by the Chicago White Stockings as the club nursed its financial wounds following the 1871 Great Chicago Fire (for two years following the fire, it did not field a team). Seven games were even relocated to Chicago by professional teams in other major cities. The Cleveland and Troy clubs played two and four home games here, respectively, in 1872, when they were struggling economically (both went out of business). The Boston Red Stockings played one in 1873 when they were flourishing.

The grounds was on a block bounded by 23rd Street, State Street, 22nd Street (now Cermak Road) and what is now Federal Street. No illustration is known to survive, but contemporary newspaper descriptions imply that the diamond was in the north end of the block; a line drawn from home plate through the pitcher's mound and second base would have pointed south. If so, fair territory would

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.