World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

24th Panzer Division (Wehrmacht)

German 24th Panzer Division
A Panzer III of the 24th Panzer Division in Stalingrad.
Active 28 November 1941 – 8 May 1945
Country  Nazi Germany
Allegiance Wehrmacht
Branch Heer
Type Panzer
Role Armoured warfare
Size Division
Anniversaries in former East Germany
Engagements

World War II

Commanders
Notable
commanders
General of the Cavalry (Germany) Kurt Feldt
Insignia
1941–42
1943–45

The 24th Panzer Division was formed in 1942 from the 1st Cavalry Division based at Königsberg.

Contents

  • Service 1
  • Legacy 2
  • Commanders 3
  • References 4

Service

It served under the Fourth Panzer Army in Army Group South of the Eastern Front. In late December 1942 it was encircled in the Battle of Stalingrad and destroyed. It was reformed in March 1943 and served in Normandy, Italy and then went back to the Eastern Front where it suffered heavy casualties around Kiev and the Dniepr Bend. During spring-1944 it took part in the Battles of Târgu Frumos, part of the First Jassy-Kishinev Offensive. Near the end of the war it saw action in Poland, Hungary and Slovakia before it surrendered to the British in May 1945.

In keeping with the Division's mounted origins, the 24th Panzer's tank crewmen wore the golden-yellow Waffenfarbe of the cavalry rather than Panzer pink.

Legacy

The insignia of the 24th Panzer division was adopted in 1956 by the PzAufklBtl.3 of the newly created Bundeswehr.

Commanders

References

  • Panzers at war, A J Barker, 1978
  • Death of the Leaping Horseman, Jason D Mark, 2002


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.