World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

30th Air Division

Article Id: WHEBN0008867789
Reproduction Date:

Title: 30th Air Division  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aerospace Defense Command, Sioux City Air National Guard Base, Duluth Air Defense Sector, 473d Fighter Group, 56th Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

30th Air Division

30th Air Division
Emblem of the 30th Air Division
Active 1948-1968
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Role Command and Control
Part of Air Defense Command
30th Air Division ADC AOR 1949-1960
30th Air Division ADC AOR 1966-1968

The 30th Air Division (30th AD) is an inactive Air Defense Command, assigned to Tenth Air Force, being stationed at Sioux City Municipal Airport, Iowa. It was inactivated on 18 September 1968.

History

Assigned to Air Defense Command (ADC) for most of its existence, the division's initial mission was the air defense of the upper Great Lakes region of the United States. The 30th equipped, administered, trained, and provided operationally ready forces to the appropriate commanders for air defense. The division trained attached and assigned units and supervised and participated in numerous exercises such as Kiowa Knife and Mandan Indian.

Moved to Sioux City Air Defense Sector. Assumed additional designation of 30th NORAD Region after activation of the NORAD Combat Operations Center at Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado and reporting was transferred to NORAD from ADC at Ent AFB in April 1966.

The 30th administered and trained subordinate units, and participated in numerous air defense training exercises. In addition, during the 1960s it supervised training of Air National Guard units with a pertinent mobilization assignment.

Inactivated in September 1968 as ADC phased down its interceptor mission as the chances of a Soviet bomber attack on the United States seemed remote, its mission being consolidated into North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

Lineage

  • Established as 30 Air Division (Defense) on 8 November 1949
Activated on 16 December 1949
Inactivated on 1 February 1952
  • Organized on 1 February 1952
Redesignated: 30 Air Division (SAGE) on 1 April 1959
Redesignated: 30th NORAD Region/Air Division on 1 April 1966, replacing Sioux City Air Defense Sector
Discontinued, and inactivated, on 18 September 1968, assets transferred to 24th NORAD Region/Air Division.

Assignments

Attached to: Eastern Air Defense Force, 1 January 1931 - August 1950

Stations

Components

Division

Attached: 27 November 1950 – 1 February 1951

Sectors

Wings

Groups

Interceptor Squadrons

Missile Squadrons

Kinchloe AFB, Michigan
Duluth AF Missile Site, Minnesota, 1960-1972

Radar Squadrons

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1)
  • Air Force Historical Research Agency: 30th Air Division
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.