312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron

312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron
312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron F-16D marked as "F-16D No. 1"
Active 1942-1944; 1984-1991
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Insignia
Patch with 312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron emblem
312th TFTS - F-16C Block 42C 88-0478

The 312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the 58th Tactical Training Wing. stationed at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. It was inactivated on 18 January 1991.

Upon inactivation, the squadron's personnel, equipment and aircraft were transferred to the 311th Fighter Squadron.

History

The squadron was first activated in 1942 under III Fighter Command. It performed operational training and replacement training of newly graduated pilots on single-engine fighters. The 312th operated a mixture of Bell P-39 Airacobras, Curtiss P-40 Warhawks and Republic P-47 Thunderbolts. The squadron was disbanded in May 1944 when the Army Air Forces reorganized its training units into AAF Base Units.

The 312th was reconstituted, designated the '312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron and reactivated by Tactical Air Command in 1984 as the first F-16C/D training squadron in the USAF. The squadron once again acted as a replacement training unit. It was initially equipped with new Block 25 Fighting Falcons, but it converted to new Block 42 planes in 1990. Its aircraft carried "LF" tail code with a black tail stripe outlined in red. It was inactivated in 1991 and most of its aircraft reassigned to 308th, 309th and 310th Fighter Squadrons.

Lineage

  • Constituted as the 312th Fighter Squadron on 16 Ju1y 1942
Activated on 22 Ju1y 1942
Disbanded on 1 May 1944
  • Reconstituted and redesignated 312th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron on 1 October 1984
Activated 1 October 1984
Inactivated on 18 January 1991

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

See also


References

Notes

Bibliography=

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.