World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

313th Tactical Airlift Wing

Article Id: WHEBN0019358376
Reproduction Date:

Title: 313th Tactical Airlift Wing  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 313th Tactical Airlift Group, 838th Air Division, Daniel Field, List of inactive AFCON wings of the United States Air Force, Mitchel Air Force Base
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

313th Tactical Airlift Wing

The 313th Tactical Airlift Wing (313th TAW) is an inactive Tactical Air Command, assigned to the 834th Air Division, being stationed at Forbes Air Force Base, Kansas. It was inactivated on September 2, 1966.

History

For additional history and lineage, see 313th Troop Carrier Group

Lineage

  • Established as 313th Troop Carrier Wing on July 28, 1947
Organized on August 15, 1947
Discontinued on August 26, 1948
  • Redesignated 313th Troop Carrier Wing, Heavy and activated on August 23, 1948
Inactivated on January 20, 1949
  • Redesignated 313th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium on November 26, 1952
Activated on February 1, 1953
Inactivated on August 25, 1953
  • Activated on June 15, 1964
Organized on October 1, 1964
Redesignated 313th Tactical Airlift Wing on May 1, 1967
Inactivated on September 30, 1973

Assignments

Stations

Components

Group

  • 313th Tactical Airlift Group: 15 August 1947 – 26 August 1948; 23 August 1948 – 20 January 1949; 1 February-25 August 1953

Squadrons

  • 29th Tactical Airlift Squadron: 1 October 1964 – 1 February 1966
  • 38th Tactical Airlift Squadron: 1 July 1969 – 15 November 1971 (not operational, 1 July-31 December 1969; detached 4 November 1970-12 January 1971 and 9 September-15 November 1971)
  • 47th Tactical Airlift Squadron: 1 October 1964 – 6 July 1973 (detached 26 July-19 November 1965, 25 January—c. 23 June 1966, 2 September— c. November 1966, c. January-25 March 1967, 27 September-4 December 1969, 16 February-19 March 1970, 5 June-11 August 1970, 3 May-12 July 1971, 6 December 1971 – 14 February 1972, 3 August-20 October 1972, 31 December 1972-11 February 1973)
  • 48th Tactical Airlift Squadron: 1 January 1965 – 25 June 1967 (detached c. 17 November 1965—c. 28 January 1966, 23 June— September 1966, c. November 1966—c. January 1967); 15 November 1971 – 6 August 1973 (detached 3 April-28 June 1972 and 3 October-30 December 1972).

Aircraft

Operational history

Activated in Austria on September 30, 1946. Assigned to United States Air Forces in Europe and equipped with C-47 and C-54 aircraft.

Transferred, without personnel and equipment, to the US on June 25, 1947 and assigned to Tactical Air Command. Trained with gliders and C-82’s. Redesignated 313th Troop Carrier Group, (Heavy) in July 1948.

Moved to Germany, October–November 1948, and joined United States Air Forces in Europe for participation in the Berlin airlift. Transported cargo such as coal, food, and medicine into West Berlin from November 1948 to September 1949. Redesignated 313th Troop Carrier Group (Special) in February 1949. Inactivated in Germany on September 18, 1949.

Trained in troop carrier operations, 1953. Trained to become proficient and to maintain combat readiness in tactical airlift operations, 1964–1973. Frequently deployed tactical squadrons or segments thereof on a global basis to support airlift requirements of overseas commands. Participated in tactical exercises and disaster relief on a regular basis. Last C-130 transferred on August 6, 1973. Thereafter, until inactivation, the wing assisted in the closure of Forbes AFB.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.