World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

317th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0020215364
Reproduction Date:

Title: 317th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Eielson Air Force Base, Convair F-102 Delta Dagger, 21st Space Wing, 567th Air Defense Group, 325th Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

317th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

317th Fighter Interceptor Squadron

317th Fighter Interceptor Squadron Patch
Active 1942–1969
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Interceptor
Engagements
  • World War II
European Campaign (1944–1945)


The 317th Fighter Interceptor Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit, last assigned to Aerospace Defense Command, being stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska. The squadron was inactivated on 31 December 1969.

History

World War II

The 317th Fighter Squadron was activated on 1 July 1942 at Theodore Green Airport, Providence, Rhode Island, as part of the 325th Fighter Group, the "Checker Tails". After six months of intensive training in the P-40 Warhawk, the 317th embarked for North Africa aboard the USS Ranger, in consort with its sister squadrons, the 318th and 319th. The 317th flew its first combat mission in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO) under Twelfth Air Force on 17 April 1943. Flying P-40 Warhawks, P-47 Thunderbolts and P-51 Mustangs, the 317th fought in 13 separate campaigns where it earned two Distinguished Unit Citations in action over Italy and Sardinia. In October 1945, after the conclusion of the European air war, the 317th returned to the United States and was inactivated.

Air Defense Command

In May 1947, the squadron was reactivated at Mitchel Field, New York and equipped with P-61 Black Widows. Reassigned to Moses Lake AFB, Washington, the squadron was re-equipped with the new F-82 Twin Mustang in October 1948. The squadron was assigned for the defense of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Eastern Washington. One month later it was reassigned to Hamilton Field, California, and in April 1950, returned to McChord AFB, Washington.

In 1951. the squadron was re-designated as the 317th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. a component of the 25th Air Division, Air Defense Command, During the period between 1947 to 1956. the 317th flew the F-82. the F-94 Starfire, and the F-86D Sabre interceptor. In 1955 and 1956, at Vincent AFB, Yuma, Arizona, flying the F-86D, the 317th engaged in airborne rocket competition, breaking all records previously set. In August 1956 the squadron was selected as the best air defense unit in the Air Force and was awarded the Hughes Trophy, In addition, the squadron received its first Outstanding Unit Award for high combat readiness for the period of 1953 through 1956. In November 1956, the 317th began transitioning into the F-102 Delta Dagger.

Alaskan Air Command

In November 1956, the 317th began transitioning into the F-102A Delta Dagger, becoming the second squadron to receive the new delta winged supersonic aircraft. In August 1957, the 317th was reassigned in force, to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, where it assumed air defense mission of the southern portion of Alaska and the northwestern approaches to the United States.

In the summer of 1960. the 449th FIS was inactivated and Ladd AFB was closed. leaving the entire Alaska air defense mission to the 317th FIS. To carry out this mission, the squadron was authorized 40 aircraft and 60 pilots. The squadron received its second Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for maintaining full combat readiness during and after the 1964 Alaska earthquake on 27 March 1964.

In the summer of 1965, the 317th was reduced to 29 aircraft and the manning reduced accordingly, but the air defense mission remained the same. In October 1965, the squadron was awarded the Hughes Trophy for the second time, and a third Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for combat readiness.

In December 1969, due to budget reductions, the 317th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron was inactivated.

Lineage

  • Constituted 317th Fighter Squadron on 24 June 1942
Activated on 3 August 1942.
Inactivated on 28 October 1945.
  • Activated on 25 August 1947
Redesignated: 317th Fighter Squadron (All Weather) on 10 May 1948
Redesignated: 317th Fighter-All Weather Squadron on 20 January 1950
Redesignated: 317th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron on 1 May 1951.
Inactivated on 31 December 1969

Assignments


325th Fighter (later Fighter-All Weather; Fighter-Interceptor) Group, 31 December 1947
4704th Air Defense Wing, 6 February 1952
567th Air Defense Group, 16 February 1953
325th Fighter Group, 18 August 1955
10th Air Division, 15 August 1957
5070th Air Defense Wing, 25 August 1960

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Maurer, Maurer. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1982.
  • USAF Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1).
  • Northrop P-61 Black Widow—The Complete History and Combat Record, Garry R. Pape, John M. Campbell and Donna Campbell, Motorbooks International, 1991.
  • 414th combat Training Squadron at Globalsecurity.org

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.