World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

31st Air Division

Article Id: WHEBN0008884028
Reproduction Date:

Title: 31st Air Division  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aerospace Defense Command, 163d Fighter Squadron, 179th Fighter Squadron, Oklahoma City Air Defense Sector, CFS Beausejour
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

31st Air Division

31st Air Division
Emblem of the 31st Air Division
Active 1948–1968
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Role Command and Control
Part of Air Defense Command
31st Air Division ADC AOR 1950-1960
31st Air Division ADC AOR 1966-1969

The 31st Air Division (31st AD) is an inactive Air Defense Command, assigned to Tenth Air Force, being stationed at Sioux City Municipal Airport, Iowa. It was inactivated on 31 December 1969.

History

Assigned to Air Defense Command (ADC) for most of its existence, the division equipped, administered, trained, and provided combat ready forces within an area covering North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, and other parts of the Midwest. The division participated in numerous live and simulated exercises such as Creek Chief, Pawnee Knife, and Mandan Hunt

Later, beginning in 1966, the 31st assumed responsibility for the former Oklahoma City Air Defense Sector and covered an area including Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Assumed additional designation of 31st NORAD Region after activation of the NORAD Combat Operations Center at Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado and reporting was transferred to NORAD from ADC at Ent AFB in April 1966.

Inactivated in December 1969 as ADC phased down its interceptor mission as the chances of a Soviet bomber attack on the United States seemed remote, its mission being consolidated into North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

Lineage

  • Established as 31 Air Division (Defense) on 7 September 1950
Activated on 8 October 1950
Inactivated on 1 February 1952
  • Organized on 1 February 1952
Inactivated on 1 January 1960
  • Redesignated 31st NORAD Region/Air Division, and activated, on 20 January 1966
Organized on 1 April 1966, replacing Oklahoma City Air Defense Sector
Inactivated on 31 December 1969.

Assignments

Eastern Air Defense Force, 8 October 1950
Attached 30 Air Division [Defense], 27 November 1950 – 1 February 1951
Central Air Defense Force, 20 May 1951 – 1 January 1960
Fourteenth Air Force, 1 April 1966 – 1 July 1968 (ConAC)
Tenth Air Force, 1 July 1968 – 31 December 1969.

Stations

Components

Sectors

Duluth Airport, Minnesota
Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota

Groups

Interceptor squadrons

Radar squadrons

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1)
  • Air Force Historical Research Agency:31st Air Division
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.