World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

330th Bombardment Group

330th Aircraft Sustainment Wing

Emblem of the 330th Aircraft Sustainment Wing
Active 1942 - Present
Country United States
Branch Air Force
Type Equipment Support
Part of Air Force Materiel Command
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center
Garrison/HQ Robins Air Force Base
Engagements
  • World War II
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign (1945)
  • Army of Occupation (Japan) (1945)

The 330th Aircraft Sustainment Wing (330 ASW) is a wing of the United States Air Force based out of Robins Air Force Base, Georgia.

Mission

The group serves as single focal point for cradle-to-grave sustainment management for the C-130 aircraft to sustain mission effectiveness throughout the system’s life cycle. Responsible for all sustainment activities required to ensure C-130 aircraft availability is adequate for the weapon system to fulfill its assigned missions.

Primary activities include engineering,worldwide logistics, weapon system readiness, and wartime support. Manages aircraft overhaul, modernization and modification programs, and unscheduled depot level maintenance for the C-130 aircraft to include foreign military sales.

The 330 ASW also provides weapon system logistics support, oversee unscheduled and programmed depot maintenance, and manage modification efforts for the Air Force’s fleet of C-5, C-130, C-17, F-15, U-2, and E-8C Joint STARS aircraft, Global Hawk, Distributed Common Ground System (DCGS), MC-130, HC-130 and various special operations combat search and rescue aircraft and helicopters to include AC-130H/U, MC-130E/H/P/W, EC-130J, MH-53J/M, HH-60G, UH-1N, TH-1H, and HC-130P/N.

History

World War II

The 330th Bombardment Group was constituted on 1 July 1942 at Salt Lake City Army Air Base, Utah. It was assigned to Second Air Force as a B-24 Liberator Operational Training Unit (OTU) and later as a Replacement Training Unit (RTU). The group performed this training at Alamogordo Army Airfield in New Mexico, then later at Biggs Field near El Paso, Texas.

With the drawdown of heavy bomber training in 1944, the group was redesignated as the 330th Bombardment Group and was designated as a B-29 Superfortress operational bomb group being assigned to the 314th Bombardment Wing, to be sent to the Pacific Theater as part of the war against the Japanese Empire. The group was assigned to Walker AAF, Kansas for equipping and training.

The group deployed to Guam in late 1944, and was assigned to XXI Bomber Command of the Twentieth Air Force. It entered combat on 12 Apr 1945 with an attack on the Hodogaya chemical plant at Koriyama, Japan. From April to May 1945, it struck airfields from which the Japanese were launching suicide planes against the invasion force at Okinawa. After that, operations were principally concerned with incendiary attacks against urban-industrial areas of Japan. It received a Distinguished Unit Citation for incendiary raids on the industrial sections of Tokushima and Gifu and for a strike against the hydroelectric power center at Kofu, Japan, in July 1945. Another DUC was received for attacking the Nakajima-Musashino aircraft engine plant near Tokyo in August 1945. The unit dropped food and supplies to Allied prisoners and participated in several show-of-force missions over Japan after the war.

The Group remained in Western Pacific, although largely demobilized in the fall of 1945. Some aircraft were scrapped on Tinian; others flown to storage depots in the United States. the group was inactivated in December 1945.

Cold War

With the end of World War II, the 330th was allocated to the Air Force Reserve. It was redesignated as the 330th Bombardment Group (Medium) and assigned to March Air Force Base, California for training with B-29 Superfortresses of the active-duty Strategic Air Command 22d Bombardment Wing, being activated on 27 June 1949. The wing was assigned to Fifteenth Air Force on 27 June 1949. (Attached to the 22nd Bomb Wing 27 June 1949 to 30 April 1951) As a result of the Korean War its personnel were activated into Federal Service on 1 May 1951 and deployed to Kadena AB, Okinawa for combat duty. (Attached to the 12th Air Division from 1 May to 16 June 1951). With its personnel deployed overseas, the wing was inactivated on 16 June.

The 330th was again redesignated as the 330th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) and allotted to 1st Air Reserve District at Greater Pittsburgh Airport, Pennsylvania on 14 Jun 1952. The unit may have just existed on paper and wasn't manned. It was also possibly equipped with Curtiss C-46 Commando aircraft. Nevertheless, it was inactivated on 14 Jul 1952.

Reactivated in 2000 as a Depot Support Wing at Robina AFB.

Lineage

  • Constituted as 330th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 1 Jul 1942
Activated on 6 July 1942
Inactivated on 1 Apr 1944
  • Redesignated 330th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) and activated on 1 Apr 1944
Inactivated on 3 Jan 1946
  • Redesignated 330th Bombardment Group (Medium) and activated in the reserve on 27 Jun 1949
Ordered to active duty on 1 May 1951
Inactivated on 16 Jun 1951
  • Redesignated 330th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) and activated in the reserve on 14 Jun 1952
Inactivated on 14 Jul 1952
  • Redesignated 330th Aircraft Sustainment Wing and activated on 1 Oct 2000

Assignments

Components

Stations

Aircraft assigned

See also

External links

  • Robins AFB Home Page
  • Andersen AFB Home Page
  • 330th Bomb Group Website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.