World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027558316
Reproduction Date:

Title: 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 55th Air Refueling Squadron, 379th Expeditionary Operations Group, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, 105th Air Refueling Squadron, 711th Air Refueling Squadron
Collection: Air Refueling Squadrons of the United States Air Force
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron

340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron
Emblem of the 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron
Active 1952-1962, 2002-Present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Air Refueling
Role Aerial Refueling

The 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron is a provisional United States Air Force unit. It is assigned to the 379th Air Expeditionary Operations Group, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.

During the Cold War, the squadron was assigned to the 340th Bombardment Wing, stationed at Whiteman AFB, Missouri. It was inactivated on 15 October 1962.

The squadron flew the KC-97 Stratotanker, providing air refueling to USAF units from 1952-1962. It was assigned to the following units:

Attached to the 93d Bombardment Wing, 20 October 1952-18 January 1954 (deployed at: Castle AFB, California)
SAC 340th ARS Patch '

The squadron was inactivated in 1965 as part of the phaseout of the KC-97 from SAC. Reactivated as a provisional squadron about 2003 as a part of the Global War on Terrorism. Equipped with a mixture of KC-135R/T Stratotankers and conducted effective combat air refueling. Was active as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. Patch designed by Bob McMordie 1958.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.