World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

34th Air Division

34th Air Division
Emblem of the 34th Air Division
Active 1951–1969
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Role Command and Control
Part of Air Defense Command
34th Air Division ADC AOR 1951-1960
93d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron North American F-86A-5-NA Sabre 48-133 Western Air Defense Force, 34th Air Division, Kirtland AFB NM Aircraft participating in B-36 intercept tests, wide color bands were painted on the fuselage for identification as a test aircraft, October 1951
34th Air Division ADC AOR 1966-1969

The 34th Air Division (34th AD) is an inactive Air Defense Command, being stationed at Custer Air Force Station, Michigan. It was inactivated on 31 December 1969.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Lineage 1.1
    • Assignments 1.2
    • Stations 1.3
    • Components 1.4
      • Wing 1.4.1
      • Group 1.4.2
      • Interceptor squadrons 1.4.3
      • Missile squadron 1.4.4
      • Radar squadrons 1.4.5
  • See also 2
  • References 3

History

Assigned to Air Defense Command (ADC) for most of its existence, from January 1951 – until 1960 the 34th administered, trained, operated and supported assigned units, and placed all available combat capable elements in a maximum state of readiness. Initially, its area of responsibility included Arizona, New Mexico, and parts of Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Texas. Redesignated Albuquerque Air Defense Sector on 1 January 1960.

Reactivated on 1 April 1966, to perform Air Defense including all or part of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia assuming responsibility for the missions of the Detroit and parts of the Syracuse Air Defense Sectors.

Assumed additional designation of 34th NORAD Region after activation of the NORAD Combat Operations Center at Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado and reporting was transferred to NORAD from ADC at Ent AFB in April 1966. The division participated in numerous live and simulated exercises such as Fainting Echo, Apache Arrow, and Fainting Knife.

Inactivated in December 1969 as ADC phased down its interceptor mission as the chances of a Soviet bomber attack on the United States seemed remote, its mission being consolidated into North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

Lineage

  • Established as 34 Air Division (Defense) on 1 January 1951
Activated on 5 January 1951
Inactivated on 1 February 1952
  • Organized on 1 February 1952
Inactivated on 1 January 1960
  • Redesignated 34 Air Division, and activated, on 20 January 1966
Organized on 1 April 1966 as redesignation of Detroit Air Defense Sector
Inactivated on 31 December 1969

Assignments

Stations

Components

Wing

Selfridge AFB, Michigan, 1 April 1966-1 December 1969

Group

Duluth MAP, Minnesota, 15 September-14 November 1969

Interceptor squadrons

Missile squadron

Niagara Falls Air Force Missile Site, 15 September-19 November 1969

Radar squadrons

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1).
  • Air Force Historical Research Agency: 34th Air Division
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.