World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

358th Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027429048
Reproduction Date:

Title: 358th Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 303d Bombardment Group, John A. Shaud, 303d Aeronautical Systems Wing, List of B-47 units of the United States Air Force, 1943
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

358th Bombardment Squadron

358th Bombardment Squadron
Lockheed B-47E Stratojet 52-3363
Active 1942-1964
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Bombardment
Engagements

  • World War II - Antisubmarine

  • World War II - EAME Theater
Decorations

  • Distinguished Unit Citation

  • Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Insignia
Emblem of the 358th Bombardment Squadron

The 358th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last was assigned to the 303d Bombardment Wing, stationed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. It was inactivated on 15 June 1964.

History

Established in mid-1942 as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomb group; trained under Second Air Force in Idaho. Deployed to Southern California flying antisubmarine patrols over the Pacific coast. Completed training in southwest June–August 1942; deploying to European Theater of Operations (ETO) as one of the initial heavy bomber squadrons assigned to VIII Bomber Command in England, September 1942.

Unidentified 358th BS B-17G (VK) on a bomb run

Engaged in long-ranger strategic bombardment operations over Occupied Europe and Nazi Germany, September 1942-May 1945. The 427th was one of the most highly decorated squadrons in the Eighth Air Force, attacking enemy military and industrial targets as part of the United States' air offensive against Nazi Germany. After the German Capitulation in May 1945 was reassigned to Air Transport Command. Reassigned to Casablanca, French Morocco, the squadron used its B-17 bombers as transports, ferrying military personnel from locations in France to Morocco, then south to Dakar in French West Africa or to the Azores for further transportation by other units. Inactivated in place in Morocco in late July 1945.

Activated in the postwar Strategic Air Command in 1947 at Andrews Field, Maryland with B-29 Superfortress bombers. Inactivated in 1949 due to budget restrictions.

Reactivated in 1951 as a B-47 Stratojet medium bomber squadron; aircraft not received until April 1953 when squadron received first production block of B-47Es. Conducted routine deployments and training during the 1950s and early 1960s. Inactivated in 1964 with the phaseout of the B-47.

Lineage

World War II squadron emblem
  • Constituted 358th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 28 January 1942
Activated on 3 February 1942
Inactivated on 25 July 1945
  • Re-designated 358th Bombardment Squadron (Very Heavy) on 11 June 1947
Activated on 1 July 1947
Inactivated on 6 September 1948
  • Re-designated 358th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 27 August 1951
Activated on 4 September 1951
Inactivated on 15 June 1964

Assignments

Stations

Operated from Muroc Army Airfield, California, May 28 – c. June 14, 1942)

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.