World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

368th Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027222637
Reproduction Date:

Title: 368th Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 306th Flying Training Group, RAF Thurleigh
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

368th Bombardment Squadron

368th Bombardment Squadron

Emblem of the 368th Bombardment Squadron
Active 1942-1963
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Bombardment

The 368th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Active during the Second World War and the beginning of the Cold War, its last assignment was with the 306th Bombardment Wing stationed at MacDill Air Force Base, Florida.

History

The squadron was established as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomb group in early 1942. Trained under Second Air Force before deploying to England in September 1942, it became one of the first heavy bomber squadrons of the VIII Bomber Command 1st Bombardment Division. It was a highly decorated squadron during the air offensive over Nazi Germany and occupied Europe, engaging in strategic bombardment operations until the end of the war in Europe, in April 1945. After the war, the squadron assisted in demobilizing personnel using B-17s as transports along ATC routes from Western Europe, Italy and the United Kingdom to Gibraltar, and north and west Africa.

The 368th was reassigned to United States Air Forces in Europe occupation forces in late 1945, engaging in photographic mapping and strategic reconnaissance operations over Western occupation zones of Germany as well as the Soviet zone. Reassigned to Istres-Le Tubé Air Base, France, it absorbed parts of demobilized squadrons and then returned to Germany as part of the American occupation forces. It was demobilized in Germany at the end of 1946.

Reactivated as a Strategic Air Command B-29 Superfortress squadron at MacDill Field, Florida in 1948, the squadron began upgrading to the new B-50 Superfortress, an advanced version of the B-29, in 1950. The B-50 gave the unit the capability to carry heavy loads of conventional weapons faster and farther; it was also designed for atomic bomb missions if necessary.

The squadron began receiving the first production models of the new Boeing B-47 Stratojet jet bomber in 1951 and despite initial difficulties, the Stratojet became the mainstay of the medium-bombing strength of SAC all throughout the 1950s. It began sending its B-47s to AMARC at Davis-Monthan in 1963 when the aircraft was deemed no longer capable of penetrating Soviet airspace. The 368th was inactivated in 1963 with phaseout of the B-47.

The 368th emblem was designed by B-17 gunner Thomas Albert Donlon, Jr., of the bomber "Lady Winifred".

Lineage

  • Constituted 368th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 28 January 1942
Activated on 1 March 1942
Inactivated on 25 December 1946
  • Redesignated 368th Bombardment Squadron (Very Heavy) on 11 June 1947
Activated on 1 July 1947
Redesignated 368th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 11 August 1948
Inactivated on 1 April 1963

Assignments

ETO Fuselage Code: BO
Not operational, 3 January-1 April 1963

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • 5

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.