World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

43d Air Refueling Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027558125
Reproduction Date:

Title: 43d Air Refueling Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 509th Weapons Squadron, 92d Air Refueling Wing, 55th Air Refueling Squadron, List of United States Air Force air refueling squadrons, 711th Air Refueling Squadron
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

43d Air Refueling Squadron

43d Air Refueling Squadron
250ps
43d Air Refueling Squadron
Active 1942-1991
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Air Refueling
Role Aerial Refueling
KB-29M era 43d ARS patch
43d Air Refueling Squadron KB-29M Superfortresses refueling 48th Fighter Wing F-84G Thunderjets over the Philippines, 1953.

The 43d Air Refueling Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 92nd Bombardment Wing, stationed at Fairchild AFB, Washington. It was inactivated on 1 September 1991.

History

Air Transport Command

Activated on 17 Aug 1942, the 43d Ferrying Squadron did not become operational at Air Transport Command units in North Africa.

Strategic Air Command

One of two refueling squadrons that the Strategic Air Command activated on 12 Jul 1948, the 43d Air Refueling Squadron, Medium, was the USAF’s first air refueling unit.

The 43d AREFS began operations in January 1949, flying KB-29M Superfortress tanker aircraft from Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona. The squadron refueled B-50s using the looped method developed by the British. In February 1949 supported the circumnavigation flight of the “Lucky Lady II”, the first aircraft to fly non-stop around the world. During the Korean War, the 43d sent aircrews to Far East Air Force to refuel fighter aircraft, at that time an experimental procedure. Deployed 21 Mar-5 Jun 1953 to RAF Lakenheath, England. In 1953, the 43d AREFS completed transition to new aircraft, the KC-97 Stratotanker, equipped with the recently developed Boeing flying boom. Deployed 18 Sep-9 Dec 1954 to RAF Fairford, England.

While the 43d was still at Davis-Monthan, a new wing was being organized at B-52 Stratofortress bombers, KC-135 jet tankers and the HGM-25A Titan I Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles at a later date. On 8 April 1960, Colonel Everett W. Best assumed command of the Wing. Under the command of Colonel Best, the 4170th SW became a functional unit of the Strategic Air Command on 13 July 1960 upon assignment of the 327th Bombardment Squadron's crews and aircraft. The 43d Air Refueling Squadron was assigned to the 4170th on 15 November 1960 and changed its suffix from “Medium” to “Heavy” in preparation for transition to the KC-135A. The 43d AREFS flew its last KC-97 mission in October 1960. The first crews of the 43d arrived on 19 March 1961 from Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, and the first of the KC-135's arrived on 24 March 1961.

With this new aircraft, 43d aircrews over the next few years refueled aircraft virtually everywhere in the world. Aircraft and crews deployed temporarily to Guam, Alaska, Greenland, Spain, England, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq. Colonel David A. Tate assumed command of the 4170th Strategic Wing in November 1961 and, on 1 February 1963, when the wing was redesignated the 462nd Strategic Aerospace Wing, Colonel Tate became the commander of the newly designated unit. The redesignation of the wing was part of the Air Force's program to honor former units with outstanding combat records. In Aug 1964, 43d aircrews deployed to Clark AB, Philippines, to begin supporting combat in Southeast Asia. Before terminating this refueling support in December 1975, the 43d AREFS dedicated substantial resources to the Vietnam War.

Colonel Alex W. Talmant assumed command of the 462nd Strategic Aerospace Wing upon the retirement of Colonel Tate on 31 July 1965. Under his command Larson AFB was scheduled to be inactivated on 30 June 1966, with Wing phase out scheduled to be complete by 25 June 1966.

On 2 Apr 1966, the 43d moved from Larson to Fairchild AFB, Wash. In May-June 1980, the explosive volcanic eruption of Mt. Saint Helens forced the suspension of operations from Fairchild for a month, but the 43d operated four tankers each from Beale AFB and Travis AFB, California. Once again, from 7 May to 8 Aug 1983, the squadron left Fairchild, deploying to Grant County Airport (formerly Larson AFB), Wash, while the Fairchild runway was repaired.

Inactivated in 1994 as part of phasedown of USAF after the end of the Cold War.

Lineage

  • Constituted 43d Ferrying Squadron on 9 Jul 1942
Activated on 17 Aug 1942
Redesignated 43d Transport Squadron on 24 Mar 1943
Disbanded on 30 Sep 1943
  • Reconstituted, and consolidated (19 Sep 1985) with 43d Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy
Constituted 43d Air Refueling Squadron, Medium, on 30 Jun 1948
Activated on 19 Jul 1948
Redesignated 43d Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy, on 15 Nov 1960
Inactivated on 1 September 1991

Assignments

  • 12th Ferrying (later, 12th Transport) Group, 17 Aug 1942-30 Sep 1943
  • 43d Bombardment Group, Medium, 19 Jul 1948
Attached to 43d Bombardment Wing, Medium, 10 Feb 1951-15 Jun 1952
Attached to Eighth Air Force, 28 Oct-28 Dec 1955

Stations

Deployed at: RAF Lakenheath, England, 21 Mar-5 Jun 1953
Deployed at: RAF Fairford, England, 18 Sep-9 Dec 1954
Deployed at: Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, 28 Oct-28 Dec 1955

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.