World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0022365997
Reproduction Date:

Title: 444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Charleston Field, 32d Air Division, 33rd Air Division (United States), List of United States Air Force Aerospace Defense Command Interceptor Squadrons, Washington Air Defense Sector
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Emblem of the 444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron
Active 1943-1968
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Fighter-Interceptor
Engagements World War II


The 444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the Air Defense Command Washington Air Defense Sector stationed at Charleston AFB, South Carolina. It was inactivated on 30 September 1968.

History

Activated in the summer of 1942 as part of IV Fighter Command Became a P-39 Aircobra replacement training unit (RTU) at Tonopah Army Air Field, Nevada. Moved to Concord Army Airfield, California and received Bell P-63 Kingcobra aircraft for training replacement pilots (RTU) for Fifth Air Force units in the South Pacific. Moved again to Santa Rosa Army Airfield, continuing mission until iactivated on 1 May 1944 as part of a reorganization of training units.

Reactivated in 1954 as part of Air Defense Command as an air defense squadron, was equipped with the F-86D Sabre Interceptor and assigned to Charleston AFB, South Carolina with a mission for the air defense of Charleston and the military facilities in the region. Was upgraded to the North American F-86L Sabre in 1957, an improved version of the F-86D which incorporated the Semi Automatic Ground Environment, or SAGE computer-controlled direction system for intercepts.

The 444th was re-equipped with new McDonnell F-101B Voodoo supersonic interceptor, and the F-101F operational and conversion trainer in 1960. The two-seat trainer version was equipped with dual controls, but carried the same armament as the F-101B and were fully combat-capable. Operated the Voodoos until September 1968, the aircraft being passed along to the Air National Guard and the squadron inactivated as part of the general drawdown of the ADC active-duty interceptor force.

Lineage

  • Constituted as: 444th Fighter Squadron on 19 February 1943
Activated on 1 March 1943
Disbanded on 31 March 1944
  • Reconstituted, and redesignated 444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, on 23 March 1953
Activated on 16 February 1954
Inactivated 30 September 1968

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Maurer, Maurer. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1982.
  • USAF Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1).

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.