World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

446th Missile Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0025923234
Reproduction Date:

Title: 446th Missile Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: LGM-30 Minuteman, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, List of USAF Strategic Missile Wings assigned to Strategic Air Command
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

446th Missile Squadron

446th Missile Squadron

LGM-30G Minuteman III test launch at Vandenburg AFB, California
Active 1942-1961; 1965-1998
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Squadron
Role Intercontinental ballistic missile
Garrison/HQ Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota.
Engagements World War II (EAME Theater)
Decorations Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Insignia
446th Missile Squadron emblem

The 446th Missile Squadron (446 MS) is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 321st Missile Group, stationed at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota

The 446 MS was equipped with the LGM-30G Minuteman III Intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), with a mission of nuclear deterrence. With the end of the Cold War, the 446th was inactivated on 30 September 1998.

History

World War II

Activated in mid-1942 as a B-25 Mitchell medium bomber squadron, it was trained by the Third Air Force in the southeastern United States. It deployed to the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO), and was assigned to the Twelfth Air Force in Algeria in early 1943. In North Africa, the squadron was engaged primarily in support and interdictory operations, bombing marshalling yards, rail lines, highways, bridges, viaducts, troop concentrations, gun emplacements, shipping, harbors and other objectives.

The squadron also engaged in psychological warfare missions, dropping propaganda leaflets behind enemy lines. It took part in the Allied operations against Axis forces in North Africa during March–May 1943, the reduction of Pantelleria and Lampedusain islands during June.

It was also involved in the invasion of Sicily in July, the landing at Salerno on the Italian mainland in September, the Allied advance toward Rome during January–June 1944, the invasion of Southern France in August 1944 and the Allied operations in northern Italy from September 1944 to April 1945. It was inactivated in Italy after the German capitulation in September 1945.

It was re-activated as part of the Air Force Reserve in 1947 and equipped with A-26/B-26 Invader medium bombers, the unit was then inactivated in 1949 due to budget cuts.

Strategic Air Command

The squadron was reactivated in 1953 as a Strategic Air Command (SAC) B-47 Stratojet squadron. It trained in aerial refueling and strategic bombardment operations with the B-47. The squadron began transferring its B-47s to other SAC wings and became non-operational as part of that aircraft's phaseout in 1961.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Squadron

On 1 November 1963 the 446th Strategic Missile Squadron was organized as a SAC LGM-30F Minuteman II intercontinental ballistic missile wing. Activated on 1 Jul 1965, it was made operational on 7 December 1966, with a complement of 50 missiles. It participated in “Project Long Life II,” a unique reliability test in which modified Minuteman missiles were fueled to travel a few hundred yards. The first launch from a silo occurred on 19 October 1966 and was declared unsuccessful. Nine days later, a second attempt also failed. A third attempt under “Project Giant Boost” occurred in August 1968 and again proved unsuccessful.

From December 1971 to March 1973, the squadron converted to the LGM-30G Minuteman III. These missiles represented a significant technological advancement, having multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRVs). Coordinating the missile changeover required complex planning and execution.

With the restructuring of the Air Force and the disestablishment of Strategic Air Command in the early 1990s, it was reassigned to Air Combat Command (ACC) in 1992 and then came under Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) in 1993.

In March 1995, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission selected the 321st Strategic Missile Wing for inactivation. The squadron was ordered to securely transfer its alert responsibilities to the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana. It maintained nuclear alert until inactivated in 1998, nearly 40 years after it first went on alert.

Lineage


  • Constituted as the 446th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 19 Jun 1942
Activated on 26 Jun 1942
Inactivated on 12 Sep 1945
  • Re-designated the 446th Bombardment Squadron (Light) on 26 May 1947
Activated in the reserve on 29 Jun 1947
Inactivated on 27 Jun 1949
  • Re-designated the 446th bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 25 Nov 1953
Activated on 15 Dec 1953
Discontinued, and inactivated on 25 Oct 1961
  • Re-designated 446th Strategic Missile Squadron on 1 Nov 1963
Organized on 1 Jul 1965
Re-designated 446th Missile Squadron on 1 Sep 1991
Inactivated on 30 Sep 1998

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft and Missiles

446th Missile Squadron Launch Facilities

Missile Alert Facilities (A-E flights, each controlling 10 missiles) are located as follows:
A-00 6.7 mi SE of Wales ND, 48°49′17″N 098°30′48″W / 48.82139°N 98.51333°W / 48.82139; -98.51333 (A-00)

B-00 6.8 mi NxNW of Osnabrock ND, 48°45′49″N 098°11′36″W / 48.76361°N 98.19333°W / 48.76361; -98.19333 (B-00)

C-00 5.7 mi NW of Edinburg ND, 48°32′43″N 097°57′50″W / 48.54528°N 97.96389°W / 48.54528; -97.96389 (C-00)

D-00 1.7 mi SxSW of Nekoma ND, 48°33′14″N 098°22′50″W / 48.55389°N 98.38056°W / 48.55389; -98.38056 (D-00)

E-00 4.3 mi SxSW of Hampden ND, 48°29′01″N 098°41′46″W / 48.48361°N 98.69611°W / 48.48361; -98.69611 (E-00)

See also

Coordinates: 47°57′40″N 097°24′04″W / 47.96111°N 97.40111°W / 47.96111; -97.40111 (Grand Forks AFB)

References

  • Grand Forks AFB Minuteman Missile Site Coordinates

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.