World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

460th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

460th Fighter-Interceptor Training Squadron

Emblem of the 460th Fighter-Interceptor Training Squadron
Active 1942–1982
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Fighter-Interceptor Training


The 460th Fighter-Interceptor Training Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the Tactical Air Command 325th Fighter Wing stationed at Tyndall AFB, Florida. It was inactivated on October 15, 1982.

History

Established in late 1942 as a ground support squadron. Deployed to the Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) in 1943 to Australia where the unit functioned as a ground support unit at Sydney Airport, then at Dobodura in New Guinea. Converted to a P-47 Thunderbolt operational combat unit, engaged in fighter-bomber operations against Japanese positions in New Guinea, Dutch East Indies and also during the Philippines Campaign (1944-1945). Moved to Okinawa, then Japan after the Japanese Capitulation as part of the Occupation Force, inactivated in 1946.

Reactivated in 1954 as par to the United States Air Force Air Defense Command, stationed at Knoxville, Tennessee for air defense of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and TVA Dams in Eastern Tennessee. Moved to Portland Airport, Oregon and flew air defense missions over the Pacific Northwest, later to Southern California in 1968. When Oxnard AFB closed in 1969, moved back to Pacific Northwest until inactivated as part of the drawdown of ADC in 1974.

Reactivated briefly in early 1982 as an air defense training squadron at Tyndall AFB, Florida; inactivated late the same year.

Lineage

  • Constituted 1st Airdrome Squadron on November 7, 1942
Activated on November 20, 1942
Redesignated 460th Fighter Squadron on July 14, 1944
Inactivated on February 20, 1946
  • Redesignated 460th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron on March 23, 1953
Activated on March 18, 1954
Inactivated August 18, 1955
  • Reactivated August 18, 1955
Inactivated March 30, 1966
  • Reactivated September 1, 1968
Inactivated July 30, 1974
  • Redesignated 460th Fighter-Interceptor Training Squadron and activated January 15, 1982.
Inactivated October 15, 1982

Assignments

16th Bombardment Training Wing, c. February 15, 1943
Attached to: 310th Bombardment Wing, February 1, 1944
Attached to: 85th Fighter Wing, c. May 16 – July 14, 1944
V Fighter Command, July 14, 1944
348th Fighter Group, September 23, 1944 – February 20, 1946
516th Air Defense Group, March 18, 1954
337th Fighter Group, August 18, 1955 – March 30, 1966
414th Fighter Group, September 1, 1968
408th Fighter Group, November 1, 1969
4788th Air Base Group, 1 July 1970
25th Air Division, 1 April 1971-30 July 1974

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Maurer, Maurer. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1982.
  • USAF Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1).

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.