World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

469th Flying Training Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0022836078
Reproduction Date:

Title: 469th Flying Training Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sheppard Air Force Base, Air Force Armament Museum, 80th Flying Training Wing
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

469th Flying Training Squadron

469th Flying Training Squadron [1]

469th Flying Training Squadron Patch
Active 9 July 1942 - 1 April 1944
10 October 1952 - 8 January 1958
13 April 1962 - 31 October 1972
10 April 2009 -present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Flight Training
Part of Air Education and Training Command
Nineteenth Air Force
80th Flying Training Wing
80th Operations Group
Garrison/HQ Sheppard Air Force Base

The 469th Flying Training Squadron (469 FTS) is part of the 80th Flying Training Wing and is based at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.

History

Established as a B-24 Liberator heavy bomb squadron in 1942. Mission was as an Operational Training Unit (OTU) under Second Air Force training B-24 replacement pilots and aircrew. Inactivated in 1944 when B-24 Liberator crew training was ended.

Reactivated in 1952 as an Air Defense Command Fighter-Interceptor squadron during the Korean War. Squadron initially absorbed personnel, aircraft and equipment of several National Guard fighter-interceptor squadrons when they were relieved from active federal service. Provided Air Defense over Eastern Tennessee, specifically over the Atomic Energy Commission Oak Ridge facilities and numerous Aluminum production facilities in the Knoxville area. Converted to F-86s in 1953 and was operationally ready by July 1953. Utilized all major modifications of the F-86, including the "L" model. Participated in numerous actual and simulated exercises to test alert status and combat readiness until inactivation in 1958.

Activated again in 1962 as a Tactical Air Command fighter squadron at George AFB, California. Equipped with F-105 Thunderchiefs, but remained unmanned from July 1962 through June 1963. Operational in February 1964, temporarily deployed overseas from November 1964 to March 1965, first to Yokota AB, Japan, to augment the 41st Air Division, and then to Kadena AB, Okinawa, in support of the 18th Tactical Fighter Wing.

Reassigned in November 1965 permanently to Thailand, where it prepared for combat fighter operations at Korat RTAFB. Engaged in combat operations over Indochina from November 1965 until inactivated in October 1972, flying F-105s and, after 1968, it flew F-4s.[1]

The 469th Flying Training Squadron was reactivated in 2009 as part of the 80th Flying Training Wing to alleviate congestion in the 90th FTS.

Lineage

  • Constituted as: 469th Bombardment Squadron on 1 July 1942
Activated on: 15 July 1942
Inactivated on: 1 April 1944
  • Redesignated and Activated as: 469th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron on 13 April 1952
Inactivated in 8 January 1958
  • Redesignated and Activated as: 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron on 13 April 1962
Inactivated on: 31 October 1972
  • Redesignated and Activated as: 469th Flying Training Squadron, on 10 April 2009

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Maurer, Maurer. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1982.
  • USAF Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1).

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.