World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

576th Flight Test Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0014966218
Reproduction Date:

Title: 576th Flight Test Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 742d Missile Squadron, LGM-30 Minuteman, Vandenberg AFB Launch Complex 576, 595th Space Group, James Kowalski
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

576th Flight Test Squadron

576th Flight Test Squadron
576th FLTS LGM-30G Minuteman III test launch at Vandenberg AFB, California, 25 February 2012
Active 1943-1966; 1991-present
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Squadron
Role Intercontinental ballistic missile
Garrison/HQ Vandenberg AFB, California
Engagements
World War II (EAME Theater)
Decorations
Distinguished Unit Citation

Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Insignia
576th Flight Test Squadron emblem
Consolidated B-24H-15-CF Liberator 41-29433 576th Bomb Squadron, 392nd Bomb Group, 8th Air Force

The 576th Flight Test Squadron (576 FLTS) is a United States Air Force direct reporting unit (DRU) assigned to Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC). The 576 FLTS is stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.

Overview

The mission of the 576 FLTS is to execute Air Force Global Strike Command's Force Development Evaluation program for America's Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Force and serve as the command's experts for missile systems capability and Air Force application demonstrations.

In executing the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Initial Operational Test and Evaluation and Force Development Evaluation programs, the 576th Flight Test Squadron prepares for and conducts ground and flight tests to collect, analyze, and report performance, accuracy, and reliability data for the Joint Staff, USSTRATCOM, Air Staff, and AFGSC. The 576th Flight Test Squadron identifies missile system requirements, demonstrates current and future war fighting capabilities, and validates missile system improvements and upgrades.

History

World War II

The 576th Flight Test Squadron was first activated at Davis-Monthan Field, Arizona, on 26 January 1943 as the 576th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) where it participated in the strategic bombardment campaigns of Europe and Germany as part of Eighth Air Force. Their involvement during the Normandy invasion and the Battle of the Bulge resulted in seven European-African-Middle Eastern Theater campaign streamers and one Distinguished Unit Citation.

The 576th was inactivated on 13 September 1945 with the close of World War II. It was reactivated on 24 September 1947 as a very heavy bombardment squadron at Barksdale Field Louisiana, the squadrons mission was changed in November 1947 to a light jet bomber squadron. It was again inactivated in November 1949.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Squadron

The squadron was reactivated on 6 March 1958 as the 576th Strategic Missile Squadron (SMS) assigned to Cooke Air Force Base (later renamed Vandenberg AFB). On 1 April 1958, the 576th was assigned to the Strategic Air Command (SAC) as an SM-65 Atlas ICBM unit, the nation's first ICBM unit.

Initially, the 576th operated launch sites 576 Alpha 1, 2 and 3, which consisted of open support towers with SM-65D Atlas ICBMS standing in the open. The open launch pads remained on nuclear alert until 1 May 1964. In the spring of 1960, began using the "coffin" type shelters and missile erectors at Vandenberg Baker pads 1,2, and 3 along with 576 Charlie, Foxtrot and Golf that were used as a testing pad for the operational testing of the SM-65E Atlas and site 576 D for Atlas F operational testing.

The squadron went off ICBM nuclear alert duties with the inactivation of Alpaha 1,2 and 3, however it continued operational testing of the Atlas ICBM until 1965 when the weapons system was retired and the missiles sent to Norton AFB California for long term storage and use as satellite launch vehicles for NASA.

On 2 April 1966, the 576th was once again inactivated.

ICBM Testing Squadron

Re-designated the 576th Test Squadron on 29 August 1991, it was again activated on 1 September 1991 as part of the activation of the Twentieth Air Force, America's only ICBM numbered Air Force. The 576th designation was chosen to ensure the history and lineage of the 576th would continue with the important job of testing ICBMs. The 576th has almost made a complete circle since the 576th Strategic Missile Squadron tested the Atlas missile in the late 50's and early 60's. In July 1993, the 576th was assigned to the Fourteenth Air Force at Vandenberg AFB. The squadron was re-designated the 576th Flight Test Squadron (FLTS) on 1 July 1994. Then, on 22 February 1996 the squadron was reassigned from the Fourteenth Air Force to Space Warfare Center (SWC) at Schriever AFB, Colorado.

On 14 March 1996, the 576th, the 30th Space Wing at Vandenberg AFB, this merger aligned all personnel directly involved with Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) testing at Vandenberg under one commander. As part of the merger, the 576 FLTS also became a direct reporting unit to the Space Warfare Center, which later became the Space Innovation & Development Center (SIDC).

On December 1, 2009 the 576 FLTS was reassigned, along with the Air Force's ICBM mission, to Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC).

Lineage

  • Constituted 576 Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 15 January 1943
Activated on 26 January 1943
Re-designated 576 Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, on 20 August 1943
Inactivated on 13 September 1945
  • Re-designated 576 Bombardment Squadron, Very Heavy, on 5 September 1947
Activated in the Reserve on 24 September 1947
Re-designated 576 Bombardment Squadron, Light, Jet, on 27 June 1949
Inactivated on 10 November 1949
  • Re-designated 576 Strategic Missile Squadron (ICBM-Atlas) on 6 March 1958
Activated on 1 April 1958
Discontinued, and inactivated, on 2 April 1966
  • Re-designated 576 Test Squadron on 29 August 1991
Activated on 1 September 1991
Re-designated 576 Flight Test Squadron on 1 July 1994

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft and missiles

  • 576-A, 5.6 mi SW of Casmalia CA,
  • 576-A1
  • Also known as 4300 A-1 / Advanced Ballistic Re-entry System (ABRES) A-1 / Ballistic Missile Re-entry System (BMRS) A-1
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65D
  • Test launches: 18xSM-65D (1959–66), 16xSM-65F (1967–76), 1xSM-65E (1968), 1xSM-65-Burner-2 (1972)
  • 576-A2
  • Also known as 4300 A-2 / BMRS A-2
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65D
  • Test launches: 1xSM-65D (1959), 13xSM-65F (1965–71)
  • 576-A3
  • Also known as 4300 A-3 / BMRS A-3
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65D
  • Test launches: 10xSM-65D (1960–75), 21xSM-65F (1965–74), 2xSM-65E (1968)
  • 576-B, 4.7 mi SW of Casmalia CA,
  • 576-B1
  • Also known as ABRES B-1
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65D
  • Test launches: 13xSM-65D (1960–66)
  • 576-B2
  • Also known as ABRES B-2
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65D
  • Test launches: 26xSM-65D (1960–67)
  • 576-B3
  • Also known as ABRES B-3
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65D
  • Test launches: 23xSM-65D (1960–67)
  • 576-C, 3.6 mi WSW of Casmalia CA,
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65E
  • Test launches: 3xSM-65E (Jul–Sep 1963)
  • 576-D, 1.9 mi SW of Casmalia CA,
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65F
  • Test launches: 2xSM-65F (1963–64)
  • 576-E, 8.4 mi SW of Casmalia CA,
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65F / 1xTaurus (1110, 2110, 3110, 3210) / 1xTaurus Lite
  • Test launches: 4xSM-65F (1962–64), 10xTaurus (1994–2011)
  • 576-F, 4.3 miles SW of Casmalia CA,
  • Also known as SM-65E Operational System Test Facility (65-OSTF-1)
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65E
  • Test launches: 2xSM-65E (Feb–Aug 1964)
  • 576-G, 1.9 miles SW of Casmalia CA,
  • Also known as SM-65F 65-OSTF-2
  • Design capacity: 1xSM-65F
  • Test launches: 2xSM-65F (1964–65)

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  1. ^
  2. ^
  • http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=4581

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.