World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027394633
Reproduction Date:

Title: 763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 55th Air Refueling Squadron, 711th Air Refueling Squadron, 744th Air Refueling Squadron, 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, 310th Air Refueling Squadron
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron

763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron
Emblem of the 763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron
Active 1943–1945
1998–2003
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Bombardment

The 763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron is a provisional United States Air Force unit. It was last known to be assigned to the 363d Air Expeditionary Operations Group, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates. The 363 AEOG was inactivated on 26 August 2003. The squadron's current status is undetermined.

The World War II 763d Bombardment Squadron was a B-24 Liberator heavy bombardment squadron, last assigned to the 460th Bombardment Group, which was stationed at Natal Airport, Brazil.

It was inactivated on 26 September 1945.

History

Activated as a B-24 Liberator heavy bomber squadron in mid-1943, it was assigned to Virginia, where the squadron flew coastal patrol missions over the southeast US, between October 1943 and January 1944 while its base in Italy was being constructed.

The squadron deployed to southern Italy and entered combat in January 1944, being assigned to the Fifteenth Air Force 55th Bombardment Wing. It was engaged in very long-range strategic bombing missions on enemy military, industrial and transportation targets in Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia. It bombed railroad marshalling yards, oil refineries, airdrome installations, heavy industry and other strategic objectives.

The squadron flew its last World War II combat mission on 26 April 1945. After V-E Day, it was assigned to the 'Green Project', the movement of troops from Europe to the United States via the South Atlantic transport route. B-24s were modified with sealed bomb bays, the removal of all defensive armament and the fuselage was equipped with seating to carry approximately 30 personnel. It was assigned to Air Transport Command at Waller Field, Trinidad and to Natal, Brazil. It moved personnel from Dakar in French West Africa, where personnel were conveyed across the South Atlantic to Brazil and eventually to Morrison Field, Florida via Trinidad. The squadron provided air transport until the end of September when it was inactivated.

The squadron was reactivated by a re-designation of the 4413th Air Refueling Squadron, Provisional, on 1 December 1988. Its mission was to provide combat refueling of Coalition aircraft assigned to United States Air Forces Central, primarily as part of Operation Southern Watch. It supported Operation Enduring Freedom beginning in 2002, and Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. Its host unit, the 363 AEOG, was inactivated on 26 August 2003 with the closing of United States facilities at Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia.

Lineage

  • Constituted as the 763d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 19 May 1943
Activated on 1 July 1943
Inactivated on 26 September 1945
  • Redesignated as the 763d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron and converted to provisional status on 1 December 1988.
Activated by redesignation of 4413th Air Refueling Squadron, Provisional, 1 December 1988
Possibly inactivated on 23 August 2003

Assignments

Attached to Air Transport Command, 15 June – 26 September 1945
Attached to United States Air Forces Central
Further attached to 363d Air Expeditionary Operations Group

Stations

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.