World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

835th Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0021850393
Reproduction Date:

Title: 835th Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: RAF Sudbury, 486th Air Expeditionary Wing, Carlsen Air Force Base, 45th Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

835th Bombardment Squadron

835th Bombardment Squadron

Emblem of the 835th Bombardment Squadron
Active 1941-1945
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Role Anti-Submarine;Bombardment

The 835th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the 486th Bombardment Group, based at Drew Field, Florida. It was inactivated on 7 November 1945.

History

Antisubmarine Warfare

The squadron was organized in early 1941 as the 80th Bombardment Squadron assigned to First Air Force as a light bombardment squadron equipped with A-20 Havocs. The unit was assigned to the 45th Bombardment Group at Savannah AAB, Georgia, then moving to Grenier Field, New Hampshire.

After the United States entered World War II the group was equipped with B-18 Bolo medium bombers and ordered to search for German U-Boats and to fly aerial coverage of friendly convoys off the northeast coast, then being reassigned to Langley Field, Virginia, then to Miami Airport, Florida flying missions along the mid-Atlantic and southeast coastline. In November 1942, the squadron was redesignated as the 9th Antisubmarine Squadron and deployed to Trinidad, flying antisubmarine patrols over the Caribbean with seven radar-equipped Douglas B-18B and three B-18C Bolos, conducting anti-submarine sweeps from there as part of the Antilles Task Force from November 1942 until March 1943.

The squadron was reassigned from First Air Force to the 25th Antisubmarine Wing, Army Air Forces Antisubmarine Command in December 1942.

B-24 Liberator era

In the spring of 1943, the squadron was taken off antisubmarine patrols and assigned to the 486th Bombardment Group which was training in Arizona under Second Air Force before deploying to England. In Arizona, the squadron was re-equipped with B-24 Liberators and transitioned from the 2-engine medium to the 4-engine heavy bomber.

In March 1944, after several months of training at Davis-Monthan, the squadron was deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO), being assigned to Eighth Air Force in England. From its base at Sudbury, the squadron began flying long-range strategic bombing missions over Nazi Germany and Occupied Europe, attacking enemy military and industrial targets primarily in Germany. In November 1944 unit re-equipped with B-17 Flying Fortresses and reassigned from 2d to 4th Bombardment Division. Continued strategic bombardment attacks on enemy targets until German capitation in May 1945.

Personnel largely demobilized during the summer of 1945; small cadre of squadron returned to the United States assigned to Drew Field, Florida. Scheduled for re-equipping and re-manning as B-29 Superfortress very heavy bomb squadron and deployment to Western Pacific. However, Japanese capitulation in August 1945 led to squadron's inactivation in November 1945.

Lineage

  • Constituted 80th Bombardment Squadron (Light) on 20 November 1940
Activated on 15 January 1941
Redesignated: 80th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 30 December 1941
Redesignated: 9th Antisubmarine Squadron (Heavy) on 29 November 1942
Redesignated: 835th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 23 September 1943
Inactivated 7 November 1945.

Assignments

  • 45th Bombardment Group, 15 January 1941
  • 26th Antisubmarine Wing, 8 December 1942
Attached to: 25th Bombardment Group, November 1942— March 1943

Stations

Operated from Edinburgh Field, Trinidad, November 1942-March 1943

Aircraft

References


External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.